So Much For Good Luck

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

So Much For Good Luck

Post by Carl La Fong »

Went for the first ride this morning. I got about 3/4 of a mile from the house and the bike sputtered and quit. I thought I was out of gas, but I had put a few gallons in it a few days ago. I hitched a ride home and filled the reserve tank. Switch on and gas came spewing out of the carburetor again and, might I add, for the last time. This piece of shit will never sit on top of my engine again. Not in this life time or the next. I will also state one thing with almost certainty. This carb was never prerun on anyone's engine prior to being shipped to me. No way, no how. It has poured out gas from the get go. The box arrived in perfect condition, so the shippers didn't bung it up. It is a piece of shit. Did I mention that??
I'm on my way to the auto parts store to see about getting a Holley.
Quadrajet, Quadrajunk, Quadraflush, Quadrabog, Quadrashit. 7-8 hundred dollars worth of rebuilds and it's still the same leaky assed piece of shit that came on the bike when I bought it 8 or 9 years ago. I'd be better off with an old Windex spray bottle and a red shop rag stretched over the intake manifold.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: So Much For Good Luck

Post by Carl La Fong »

Update:
I just got home from the parts store. I have dealt with them for over 40 years. Real knowledgeable gear heads. The owner, Owen, is a fountain of information. Long story short, I have a spanking new, USA made, Holley on order. He gave me a long deal on it, but it was still staggeringly expensive. In order to get the deal, I will have to wait about two weeks to get it in my grubby hands. It is a Q-Jet replacement that had been unavailable for years. They are either being built again or a stash of NOS units were discovered. Owen assured me (and I trust him) that I will come back and thank him for selling me the carb once I see how it runs.
I'll thank him if it just runs
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

John, there are several different styles available from Summitt for 325 dollars, free shipping, 2 day delivery. The different styles all have to do with the choke or the finish, even no choke, all are the same price. All genuine remanufactured Quadrajets.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

If you are throwing the carb out....send it to me instead..I will pay shipping and give it to Lee and he will tell us why it did not work...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I have some plans for the old one. I'll let you know.
BTW, I was warned. I ignored the warning. Bad move on my part
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Sorry for your problems but my Quadra jet stage ll rebuild by carb Mike done several years ago work flawlessly and runs like a raped ape . I don't know why yours doesn't but shit happens I guess .
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Carl La Fong wrote:I have some plans for the old one. I'll let you know.
BTW, I was warned. I ignored the warning. Bad move on my part

Ok..thanks... :canada:
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

My carb done by carb Mike several years ago also works perfect. He obviously didn't run LaFongs on his bike like he did mine back then.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
carburetormike

Post by carburetormike »

Hi All, Johns carb was tested and adjusted and ran well on my engine. I don't ship them until they are right. John found the float level topped out on the lid which can only happen if the box was miss handled. That is something out of my hands, But as a Gentleman I sent him this Back on Aug. 2nd

((( Hi John, I feel bad that an issue occurred with the needle and seat, It's only
happened a few times maybe 8 though out all the carbs I've done. Thanks to the shipping
Gorillas. Some times the shaking thing works. And they never have an issue with it again.
But after thinking about it today. All the parts were floating around the box. Three were
floats with only one of them being the right type. The one I used. There could be an
issue with the float itself.

If you can't fiddle the issue out, I'd be willing to replace the float, needle & seat
with new ones, for you free of charge. Just shipping to get it back to me. I guess I
shouldn't have reused those parts I found in the box. But they looked to be good. )))

The carb will not run right unless the float level is set to 13-1/2/32" to 14/32" Any higher or lower it will not run right as adjusted.

Also found this about Ethanol Fuel in Carbs.

E-10 -lower float levels 1/32 from original specifications increase main metering circuits’ fuel flow by 10 percent, increase idle jet diameter by 0.002 inch.

E-15 - lower float levels 1/32 from specification, increase idle diameter by 0.003 inch, increase main metering circuits flow by 15 percent.

E-85 - nope, not going there at all, good luck to any that try it!
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

John, did the new carb come yet?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
carburetormike

Post by carburetormike »

Hi John, That offer to replace the parts and return shipping at N/C still stands, balls in your court.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I'll take it under consideration. I will be on a three week road trip starting this week
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Three week road trip sounds nice.... Have a safe trip and hope you get your bike straightened out
phpBB [video]
Puff

Post by Puff »

My stage II carb is still running GREAT !
Idles super; secondaries LOVE kicking in !
I DO stay away from ethanol at all costs!!!!!
Thanks, Mike ! 8-)
Bill Van Sant

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I guess I'm lucky that several gas stations in my area sell non ethanol gas because we have so many lakes and boating around us .
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

I have found a new WaWa that opened up by work and they sell non ethanol fuel. I'm going to try a tank full and see if effects my idle in a good way. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

orlando502 wrote:I have found a new WaWa that opened up by work and they sell non ethanol fuel. I'm going to try a tank full and see if effects my idle in a good way. :-)
Seafoam Seafoam Seafoam...worth a try and something you should do at least every 4th tank or so...
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I've had my carb Mike QJET carb on my bike for eight years. Its had pretty much nothing but ethanal gas in it for the whole 8 years and its never been anything but perfect. I just hit the start button and ride it. Idles perfect, secondaries work fine, gets decent mileage, no leaks, I run a Holley Red fuel pump. Same pump for eight years.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Elvis

Post by Elvis »