paint savers

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
knockdolian

paint savers

Post by knockdolian »

Hi all, can anyone reccomend paint savers which will fit a 96 tank. My paint is flakingband blistering aaround the filler. I over filled it the other day when the weather was hot and put it away in the garage. The gas station is only a mile away. An expensive mistake.
Any help appreciated
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: paint savers

Post by Carl La Fong »

I think they're all about the same, functionally. Pick the ones that you think look the best. I'm pretty sure the BH tanks have the HD style screw in caps. RH thread for the fuel, LH thread for the dummy side
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I have used a lot of the Kuryakyn ones with good success other than down in Daytona in 2015,,,went threw 3 right hand ones and finally gave up and went with a dfiferent style...but otherwise the 10 or better I used in Canada were alright...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks, I contacted Kuryakyn and they said they wouldn't fit a boss hoss. I have a Harley with the paint savers that just sit on a rubber gaslit. I tried them on the Boss and they don't sit flat all the way around. Will the screw in ones sit better on the older tank. Can someone who has the Kuryakyn screw in ones measure the diameter of them to See if they will cover the damage. Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I could not find any paints a version that would fit my tank so I bought some paint at a Hobby store that they use to paint model cars etc and it is gas resistant. My tank is black where the filler spout is so I painted a black ring as neat as possible around the hole and at least it looks better than the peeling paint and prevented more peeling .
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Thanks, I contacted Kuryakyn and they said they wouldn't fit a boss hoss. I have a Harley with the paint savers that just sit on a rubber gaslit. I tried them on the Boss and they don't sit flat all the way around. Will the screw in ones sit better on the older tank. Can someone who has the Kuryakyn screw in ones measure the diameter of them to See if they will cover the damage. Thanks
Who are you going to listen too? Kuryakyn that knows shit or me who has installed over a dozen sets of these?? I think the choice is clear!! LOL...

BUT if the paint is coming off for quite a ways around the hole then it will not cover as the tanks at the hole are not flat...they come up and the whole cap will not cover all the damage and that looks like maybe the case with your damage as in the picture. I had a tank with damage like that on a trike I brought up from the US and I took it to a friend who does vinyl graphics...he cleaned it up and then put enough vinyl around the whole to cover the damage..we use vinyl that looked like carbon fibre...then the paint saver caps...you can see the vinyl but it is at least round and does not look too out of place.

I took close ups of my Kuryakyns on my 502 today so you have a better idea..plus you can send them to Kuryakyn...I think they might just work to cover.

Another thought...I am thinking that your overflow tube is plugged as the gas should 100% have gone down the overflow rather than up and out the cap and fibered your paint.
Attachments
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG
CanuckHoss

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Early bikes don't have a vent tube
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Carl La Fong wrote:Early bikes don't have a vent tube
Shit...did not know..thanks
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

What year did the vent tube become standard. My bike is a 2003 and it has one.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Puff

Post by Puff »

My '01 (unit number 108 that year) has a vent tube.
Bill Van Sant

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks for all the info. Barry your right, I'm happy to take your word for it. My concern was whether the threads changed later on. I've had my tank off and no vent tube. Should have bought a red one Barry !! I think your idea of vinyl Ia a good idea, maybe I could get some to match the paint
Just took a closer look at the photos. My tank doesn't have a raised lip like yours. So there obviously has been a couple of changes over the years
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Thanks for all the info. Barry your right, I'm happy to take your word for it. My concern was whether the threads changed later on. I've had my tank off and no vent tube. Should have bought a red one Barry !! I think your idea of vinyl Ia a good idea, maybe I could get some to match the paint
Just took a closer look at the photos. My tank doesn't have a raised lip like yours. So there obviously has been a couple of changes over the years
I imagine the threads are the same in the holes even thought the tank was changed...can you post a picture of your stock cap for us?? or if you have a friend with an older Harley try his cap or a Suzuki 1500 Intruder cap as I found out the other day the stock Boss Hoss caps fit it...
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

There you go !!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:There you go !!
Willing to bet the same as mine and the same caps as used from 2001 until they changed the tanks to under the console fill...
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

CanuckHoss wrote:
Willing to bet the same as mine and the same caps as used from 2001 until they changed the tanks to under the console fill...
But are you willing to bet $100 !!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:
But are you willing to bet $100 !!
Why not!! LOL
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

I'll order a pair and let you know. Thanks
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Has anybody tried Carlini Paint Savers???
Look them up on eBay.

Paul H
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Paul H wrote:Has anybody tried Carlini Paint Savers???
Look them up on eBay.

Paul H
That is exactly what Tom at Mountain installed on my trike in Florida after 3 or 4 Kuryakyn caps shit the bed..they were new caps..

These Carlini work good.

Thanks for posting...I could not remember the brand and had no pictures...

Any cap on a trike will leak after filling it and taking a fairly fast street corner to the left...at least all of mine...the gas goes right quickly and overflows faster than the drain can take it.
CanuckHoss

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

There are 2 different styles of screw in HD caps.
BH uses the earlier version. I know they started
in the mid 80's but I don't remember until when,
sometime in the late 90's.

Paul H
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

I beleive the caps changed for 1996 and up models. I had a '95 and used the older ones - '82-95.
Gordon from England
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

I've tried ordering the carlini paint savers but for delivery address the have US & Canada only on the drop down. Tried emailing them with no reply. Anyone got a pair or could get me a pair they would be willing to post on. I know you lot are all about helping retired Vet's !!
Thanks,
Paul
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I Carlini make some different paint savers . What one fits a 2000 Boss Hoss tank ?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:I've tried ordering the carlini paint savers but for delivery address the have US & Canada only on the drop down. Tried emailing them with no reply. Anyone got a pair or could get me a pair they would be willing to post on. I know you lot are all about helping retired Vet's !!
Thanks,
Paul
Paul,

There must be an aftermarket dealer near you that can order for you???

Jack...

Find someone with a Suzuki Intruder 1500 (C90 is the new model)...if their cap fits your bike then they are the same as the newer tanks...like my 2007...or find a 2001 and up Hoss and try the cap
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

My tank definitely has early filler caps pre 96 . I have a CCI catalogue and zodiac as I have a couple of Harley's. Neithe do carlini. I don't like the idea of the of the screw in filler caps. Being an absent minded old fart ( wife's words) I'll lose the tool plus I've taken on board what was said about the Kuryakyn not fitting properly. The carlini ones looked good. I'll have another go at contacting them. I'll even pay for them and have them delivered to a members address to forward them to me if I get no joy .
Thanks