brembo brakes

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
knockdolian

brembo brakes

Post by knockdolian »

Will Harleys 08 + rotors fit a 96 bosshoss. Seen calipers and rotors are very reasonably priced for Brembo upgrade
knockdolian

Re: brembo brakes

Post by knockdolian »

Hi all, seems you lot don't mess about with your brakes !! Really need some help here. The stock ones really are poor. I noticed that BH fit 4 piston callipers now. What are they and do they do the job? I have a Harley with a 6 piston PM calliper and that stops well. Would 2x stop the trike. Also been emailing Big B brakes in Germany. Look good but very expensive. Don't mind paying good money but want to be sure I'm getting what I need. May have said I want to tow an un braked trailer about 700 lbs. any advice please.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

The brakes on any Boss Hoss I ever rode are not great, they will barely lock up a wheel if they even do. The pads don't last real long. The bike weighs a lot and the factory has tried many kinds of brakes over the years to try and get better brakes. They will fade rather quickly on a downhill mountain road. If you are aware of their limitations and ride them with that knowledge they work just fine, just never expect they will be like a jap bike or most other normal bikes. The newest bikes have completely different brakes, more like a car, and I heard they work good but I've never rode one. If I ride my 2003 the brakes are terrible compared to my 2015 Triumph but I don't feel unsafe on the Boss Hoss. I can't even imagine pulling a 700 pound unbraked trailer and trying to stop quickly or many times in a row.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

SQ4MN wrote:The brakes on any Boss Hoss I ever rode are not great, they will barely lock up a wheel if they even do.
When I picked up my 2015 Coupe last Fall, I also was concerned about the brakes. As the pads and roters got to know each other, they felt better. I changed out the rear brake pedal. I think the stock one is made by Kuryakyn and while it looks nice is on the small size. I modified a Harley Softail pedal to fit the stock rear brake lever. More pedal surface means easier application of the rear brake.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I am not talking about trikes, only bikes. Trikes have better brakes than bikes even if they seem like there is plenty of room for improvement.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks for the replays, fully appreciate what you say about riding to limitations however UK roads are not us roads and no matter how defensive you are it won't stop idiots pulling out on you or kids jumping off the curb. My back brakes are fine as the previous owner upgraded to Brembo discs and they are better than the front which is never a good idea. I saw a bike in the UK for sale on eBay. He had Brembo car callipers fitted. Huge things so I'm making inquiries about them. As for towing, it is a trike and weighs more than some cars I've owned but I know from experience that a heavy trailer will push. The new Harley brakes from 08 are 4 piston brembo a and floating discs. Got to be better than what I have. Just find it interesting that it's not a common upgrade in U.S. I'll let people know how I get on. I also had a rocket 3 and that stops . Cheers
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Regardless of what you put for brakes on the trike you are going to need more stopping distance in an emergency situation than you would normally....700 lbs is going to push you further down the road..no different from a motorcycle with good brakes when you add a 300 lb trailer...takes more feet to stop..
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham