Ignition switch?

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
randy burkey

Ignition switch?

Post by randy burkey »

Stopped for gas today. Shut motor off with handlebar switch, turned ignition switch off and nothing happened which means lights, fan fuel pump, everything was still on! :o ..Rode it home and disconnected battery to get everything to stop...few hours later hooked battery back up and it seems ignition switch works properly?? I think I'm just replacing switch with a toggle switch...What do you guys think? Like to get it sorted out before La cross..
phpBB [video]
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Ignition switch?

Post by Carl La Fong »

A toggle switch would do just fine, I suppose. I would get a good key switch. You can't go wrong with Cole Hersee switches
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Puff

Post by Puff »

Randy,
I always carry an extra ignition switch with me.
And an ignition control module.
And a fuel pump or two.
Fan belts.
Sometimes an extra alternator.
Sometimes I feel like a traveling parts vehicle.
The ignition switch should be available
at most-to-all auto parts stores.
Shrink wrap helps to keep moisture out.
Keep us posted.
Bill Van Sant

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

will do... thank you for the responses
phpBB [video]
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Randy,

Good chance it is the switch.

Another item to look at is the main power solenoid. It could have hung in the ON position and released once it cooled off. I believe the solenoid is a NAPA ST80.
Regards,

Mark

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Went to napa and bought a new ignition switch, and solenoid..Changed them both and the bike still runs..That's good for me! :dunno: Just ride it and see what happens..While at Napa I asked about the inline fuel pump they offer ,,I think that is what Mountain installed on my bike a while ago..Anyone remember the part #? searched and found pump # Napa # 610-1050..I'll check into getting a spare..Thank you guys for your help
phpBB [video]
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Randy,

Mine is a Carter P4070.
http://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/cr ... /overview/

Looks allot different from the NAPA 610-1050.
Regards,

Mark

Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

randy burkey wrote:Went to napa and bought a new ignition switch, and solenoid..Changed them both and the bike still runs..That's good for me! :dunno: Just ride it and see what happens..While at Napa I asked about the inline fuel pump they offer ,,I think that is what Mountain installed on my bike a while ago..Anyone remember the part #? searched and found pump # Napa # 610-1050..I'll check into getting a spare..Thank you guys for your help
Randy, I hope you good luck at Lacrosse with your bike. I also plan on seeing you at MBH later this Month and ask you about Lacrosse. Maybe we'll give it a try next year ourselves. Later.........
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

After changing the parts, All it's done in Ohio is rain a lot..Went to Ohio bike week both weekends and had rain on both so I rode the Harley..Just found out I'm scheduled to work the Saturday of Mountains open house..And I'm not so sure I'm going to Lacrosse either...
phpBB [video]