Winters Transmission

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Harold Blocker
Outdrank the Perverator

Winters Transmission

Post by Harold Blocker »

Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
mmaupin

Re: Winters Transmission

Post by mmaupin »

Harold,

Thanks for the pictures.

The Winters trans appears to fit in there nicely. In the first picture, it looked as if the trans pan hung lower than a Nesco. Could just could be the picture.

Any ride report data available?
Regards,

Mark

Harold Blocker
Outdrank the Perverator

Post by Harold Blocker »

I have heard it works well and can take abuse in 2nd. I would definitely run a skid plate with it however. After seeing what happened to Shane Fischer's tranny, I will always run a skid plate.
Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Tom from Mountain went o Paris with it in his 502 last fall. Told me he beat the living crap out of it without a failure..starting from a stop in 2nd..rolling burnouts in 2nd...sounds good no???
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I'd like to know more about it. From the size of the front pulley, I have to assume it's an overdrive trans, like the Nesco. My Ranger, with a 1:1 high gear has a 45 tooth (I think) front pulley. It's as big around as your head. If I'm right, I gotta I wonder why a real two speed wasn't designed and built, like the VR-2?? Also, I wonder what the plan is? Like I've said before, a new trans is way above what most of us could afford or be willing to spend. If they could offer it for 10K, installed, there might be a few takers, I suppose. Is Mountain thinking of going head to head with BH?
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

From Bryan Ward on the other Forum

Quote "I took the pictures a couple days ago at Mountain Boss Hoss and had Harold post the pictures with Tom's permission. Yes, it is installed in Tom's bike. I also saw the bike in action doing burnouts up and down the block in front of the dealership. Apparently you can also tie the front wheel into a wheel chock and spin the tire in reverse, totally different design. Tom also mentioned that there has been over $700,000 spent on R&D on this transmission and it appears it's almost ready to go into production. No information on when, price or quantities at this point but it will happen soon. The transmission in the pictures is the prototype and is the only one built so far. You will also notice a different bell housing which still uses the Nesco torque convertor.

They still want to raise the oil pan for better ground clearance and clean up some hoses and fittings etc to make it all neater and reliable. Tom also expects it will leave second gear rubber on the road in a WOT shift but nobody has proven that yet.

That's about all I know.................. END QUOTE
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Has anybody heard anything new on the Winters trans?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Amazingly quiet for sure on info...
CanuckHoss

SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

SQ4MN wrote:Has anybody heard anything new on the Winters trans?
Last September at the National Rally I was told it should be available sometime in 2016. They had plans to raise the pan as it was too low maybe something else but very happy with operation.

Shane
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I think at some point they will have them for sale, the good thing is I haven't heard much about trans problems in a long time. Someone used to post every month or even more about a blown trans when Tom and Adrian were fixing them.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

SQ4MN wrote:I think at some point they will have them for sale, the good thing is I haven't heard much about trans problems in a long time. Someone used to post every month or even more about a blown trans when Tom and Adrian were fixing them.
Maybe people are finally learning not to pound the piss out of them like power shifting , trying to back over curbs etc etc .
johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

2016-01-08 13.16.59.jpg
Squirm I Don't want to disappoint you, so my 2009 LS3 Transmission is at Boss Hoss Concepts getting a rebuild as I write. 55,000 mile and it started to act up.
Attachments
2016-01-08 13.17.16.jpg
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I'm sorry to hear about your trans needing a rebuild, its serious money. We used to hear about the transmissions needing rebuilds every month so I think they have gotten better. They still are the weak link on these bikes even though better than before. Many of us have gotten serious mileage without a rebuild but some of us have gone through more than one transmission without even abusing them. It used to be the luck of the draw. Tom Chadwell made some improvements that NESCO copied and things got better. Tom taught Adrian all he could and Adrian rebuilt a few after Tom left. Boss Hosss Concepts is still doing a good job but its not cheap. From what I understand as long as your case is good at least its still possible to get a rebuild. What choice do you really have, the bike is worthless without a transmission.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I wonder if Mountian is still rebuilding Nesco 's ? It would seem that if anyone had parts or could get them somehow it would be them .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Jack, You would have to call them to verify this but I heard they were rebuilding the Nesco as long as the case was still good. Maybe they use the parts that go into the new transmissions. Many people on this site know the owner and should be able to get some info on this .

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Mountain rebuilt a tranny for me just before Christmas...when they rebuild they machine the inside of the case and add another steady bearing for the output side of the tranny for so called "shaft flex"...which some of us older guys may have....LOL
CanuckHoss

johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

Boss Hoss Concepts Just finished up the re-build on my transmission. They have 4 going on the Dyno tomorrow, one of them being mine. The total rebuild with a new torque converter Full of oil fresh off the dyno and crated.
$2,396.13 total bill. I think that is a very fair price. 45 more days and we will be testing it out at Bike week Daytona Beach.
John
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

That price seems very good! When the tranny in my bike was rebuilt / upgraded Nesco charged Curtis right at $4500
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

johnny redneck wrote:Boss Hoss Concepts Just finished up the re-build on my transmission. They have 4 going on the Dyno tomorrow, one of them being mine. The total rebuild with a new torque converter Full of oil fresh off the dyno and crated.
$2,396.13 total bill. I think that is a very fair price. 45 more days and we will be testing it out at Bike week Daytona Beach.
John
Johnny , did they have to pull and reinstall your tranny or did you just ship them the tranny ?
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

That sure is reassuring to hear. It's my biggest fear owning this 2000 big block.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

Hog: I split the bike and shipped the transmission to Boss Hoss Concepts. Freight one way is $340.00 from Ct.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

johnny redneck wrote:Hog: I split the bike and shipped the transmission to Boss Hoss Concepts. Freight one way is $340.00 from Ct.
That seems a bit expensive...I can ship from Canada for less than that...wonder why??
CanuckHoss

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

johnny redneck wrote:Boss Hoss Concepts Just finished up the re-build on my transmission. They have 4 going on the Dyno tomorrow, one of them being mine. The total rebuild with a new torque converter Full of oil fresh off the dyno and crated.
John
I think the price is reasonable however if and when my A model trans needs rebuilding I want it updated with all the latest modifications and I'm afraid that could cost more . Hopefully parts to do this will be readily available. I hope the new factory owners will make this happen ?
johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

Hog here is the brake down
John
Attachments
Boss Hoss Transmission Rebuild.pdf
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 325 times
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

It appears you didn't need any major parts replaced, ie planetary gears, gear clutch drum, output shaft, etc and that's why the cost is what it is. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike