Floating rotor question

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Imzz4

Floating rotor question

Post by Imzz4 »

I was in the process of putting the BH 12 1/2" floating rotors on, when my measurements show the caliper brackets American suspension sent with the new front end will only accept a 12" rotor. I think the wheel and rotor came off a 2004 BH trike. Either they sent the wrong brackets , or some years used a small rotor. Does anyone have any info on what size was on what years, and perhaps which years were Wilwood and which are Brembo's?
The one's I put on temporarily were from my wife's Low Rider, and they were 11 1/2" which allowed 1/4" of brake pad squeezing air. thanks
Sno

Re: Floating rotor question

Post by Sno »

Jeff my trike is a 07 and it has 12 1/2 rotors on it
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

First year of Brembo brakes was 03 which is what my bike is. 03 used same pads front and rear. In 04 they changed rear master cylinders and calipers. I can try to measure later but would be surprised if rotors are any different size.
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I found out it was from an 03, but he doesn't know whose brakes it had. Thanks guys. I'll call American Sus. and see about other brackets. I just put new seals in , and they look as good inside as the outside since they were not used long before getting replaced by Brembo's. Which by the way, he said made a big improvement on stopping his small block..
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Measured mine and as it seems you have already figured out 03 was also 12.5 inches.
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

2007 SS 12.5"
Gordon from England
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Typical of when things don't work out with plan A or B, I decided to use Arlen Ness 11.8" 420ss floating rotors with the Wilwoods, and make my own caliper brackets so the pads sit where I want them. When they get here, I can drill the remaining holes and polish them. Appreciate the replies !