New torque converter for Berzerker

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Grand Canard

New torque converter for Berzerker

Post by Grand Canard »

I will be having a custom torque converter built, designed special for Berzerker with a higher stall speed, but I’m concerned about over-heating tranny fluid, what’s the max stall?

My question goes to you cats sporting non-factory or factory #7 torque converters, etc:
• What is your manufacturer listed converter stall speed? ie you purchased a 3500 rpm stall
• What is your converters flash stall speed?
• Which engine do you have; SBC, LS-2/3, 502, custom build, etc?
• Which tranny cooler do you have; new style mounted on radiator or old style under skid pan?
• Do you have any problems with tranny fluid over-heating?
o If you have a temp gauge, what does the summer tranny fluid temp run?
Bonus Question
• Who supplies Boss Hoss with converters? TCI?

Flash Stall can be determined:
• With the vehicle sitting still and idling in low gear, apply full throttle. As the vehicle begins its motion forward, check the RPM hand on the tachometer, that is your Flash Stall or your converters ACTUAL stall speed.
• With the vehicle in rolling forward in high gear and at low mph, 10mph or so, apply full throttle for a couple of seconds while noticing rpm hand of tachometer.

You may have purchased a converter with a listed stall speed, ie 3000, but actual stall speed on your machine will almost always be different, sometimes very different from the listed stall speed. As an example, if you installed that same 3000 stall converter on a SBC Boss Hoss, a LS-3 BH, 502 BH, and a 606 /632 BH and checked the flash stall on each bike, you would discover that the actual stall could be off 1000 rpm or more from the listed stall.

Based off of the feed-back I receive, I will be better able to steer Coan or Pro Torque in the right direction. Thanks to my RacePak IQ3 data logger, I will also be able to provide them with a ¼ mile run graph showing RPM, throttle position, MaP (manifold pressure / load), GPS speed, acceleration G’s; I will also send them my old converter.

Coan and Pro Torque both have programs to design custom converters to your exact needs for optimal performance; hopefully, the data I provide will allow them to design and build the ultimate torque converter for Berzerker.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
misfit

Re: New torque converter for Berzerker

Post by misfit »

I just installed a new torque converter from Boss Hoss Concepts in my 04 small block. Tim Delbac there is doing all of the trans work from Boss Hoss. He has them made by TCI to his specs and it is a 3100 to 3200 stall. Tim told me it is more efficient and runs cooler than a nesco #7. I can now easily brake my rear tire loose at 40mph plus! As far as heat, on my initial trial run after installing it the temp was around 210 but, I have since installed a dual pass heat sink cooler below the radiator and kept the stock one also. Just haven't had a chance to ride it yet..
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

misfit wrote:I just installed a new torque converter from Boss Hoss Concepts in my 04 small block. Tim Delbac there is doing all of the trans work from Boss Hoss. He has them made by TCI to his specs and it is a 3100 to 3200 stall. Tim told me it is more efficient and runs cooler than a nesco #7. I can now easily brake my rear tire loose at 40mph plus! As far as heat, on my initial trial run after installing it the temp was around 210 but, I have since installed a dual pass heat sink cooler below the radiator and kept the stock one also. Just haven't had a chance to ride it yet..
Misfit
Glad Tim gave you the hook-up and made you a happy customer!!
What is your flash stall? Have you had a chance to check? Curious to learn what your actual stall is compared to the 3100-3200 you think you have; of course Tim may have already tested that TCI spec converter on a ZZ-4 350 and knows for a fact that the stall IS 3100-3200.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
misfit

Post by misfit »

Tim said he did dyno my torque converter before he sent it to me and it did stall at 3100 to 3200. The heat issue was just a faulty sender. Trans doesn't get above 170 so far. I cant test it any farther as I sold it on Sunday but I hope this helps. Just give Tim a call if you have any questions, easy guy to talk to and a real Boss Hoss guru!
George
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

so nobody has a high stall converter and able to share some info?

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Mine wasn't a high stall converter. But I had called Craig at Coan when I was building the 408 motor and tried to explain what I wanted. I sent the stock converter to him since it had fairly low miles and they redid it. I put a large B&M cooler near the cross member and added a ss air scoop of sorts. The tranny temps nearly always matched the water temps, but it took quite a long time for that to happen. In heavy stop and go it would be 195 tops. Rolling it hard from 20 in high gear would stall at 2900-3000. I was pleased with their work. Some yrs later the tranny went again . Pissed off, I sent it to JimCalloway and got it back rebuilt with a stock converter, and most importantly, a sales receipt that made it easier to sell (the bike) before I'd ever have the chance to be pissed off at it again. My 2 cents is keep the oil clean, the magnetic filter new, watch the temps, and don't hammer it in high gear unless its been snowing. :doh:
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Not me. I use nitrous to break the tire loose when Wanted. With just a almost stock small block, a high stall isn't needed / wanted
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Man..with that HP why do you want a higher stall from stock??

A 502 with a stock what..1800 stall will blow rubber all over the road almost anytime and you have gobs more HP....

Just wondering....
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

CanuckHoss wrote:Man..with that HP why do you want a higher stall from stock??

A 502 with a stock what..1800 stall will blow rubber all over the road almost anytime and you have gobs more HP....

Just wondering....
Barry
My 470 engine is designed to deliver on the high-end, the power and and torque is upstairs; combine that 8000 redline engine along with a 36 tooth front pulley which allows for 160mph in low, well it's sluggish off the line until 40-50mph due to the converter. My 0-60mph is killing my 1/4 mile time, can't really hard-launch a Boss Hoss off the line (no clutch to dump, no trans-brake, etc), best launch we can do is hold brake with ~2000 rpm.
I honestly don't know what I need, but will allow Coan, etc decide once they've reviewed the my data logger graphs and examined / tested my current converter.
My goal has always been to build the fastest 1/4 mile Boss Hoss on the planet; my belief is that a perfect torque converter with a higher stall will get Berzerker into the low 9's in the 1/4 and into the low 6's in the 1/8, I'll know soon enough if I have been living in fucking fantasy land.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Grand Canard wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:Man..with that HP why do you want a higher stall from stock??

Just wondering....
Barry
My 470 engine is designed to deliver on the high-end, the power and and torque is upstairs; combine that 8000 redline engine along with a 36 tooth front pulley which allows for 160mph in low, well it's sluggish off the line until 40-50mph due to the converter. My 0-60mph is killing my 1/4 mile time, can't really hard-launch a Boss Hoss off the line (no clutch to dump, no trans-brake, etc), best launch we can do is hold brake with ~2000 rpm.
I honestly don't know what I need, but will allow Coan, etc decide once they've reviewed the my data logger graphs and examined / tested my current converter.
My goal has always been to build the fastest 1/4 mile Boss Hoss on the planet; my belief is that a perfect torque converter with a higher stall will get Berzerker into the low 9's in the 1/4 and into the low 6's in the 1/8, I'll know soon enough if I have been living in fucking fantasy land.
Fair enough..sounds then like you are on the right track...best of luck..thanks for the explanation...look forward to some killer times. Maybe one of Tom's new trannies where you can launch in 2nd might be the answer?? Just thinking out loud..
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham