3rd time- Carb problems!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Harris

3rd time- Carb problems!

Post by Harris »

This has me bummed out! All of a sudden in the middle of a ride my Wildcat starts to sputter and run rough. Under acceleration, no problem and the 302 runs fine. The first time this happened was right after I paid for a professional to rebuild the carb. (he's good and I trust him) Now, its the third time and I don't get it. I remove the carb, total disassembly (by myself) on the bench. No debris I can see. I did notice a bit of rust on 1 of the primary butterflies the 3rd time. All else looked good. I sprayed carb cleaner (all 3 times) through all the orifices, passageways, and myself too. :dizzy: Burned the shit out of my left eye this time after the fluid shot back out. Anyway, after putting the whole carb back together and bolting it back on the 302, it runs like a monster, like always. :wft: Any thoughts on this? The carb is an Edelbrock 1405. After I damaged the accelerator pump re-assembling (2nd time) the part for the pump indicated a 1470 Edelbrock. I was told by Jegs its the same. This bike sat for a LONG time before it was in my possession. The gas had leaked into the crankcase and the carb had a lot of rust inside the float chambers. (Yeah, no fuel filter when I got the bike) I wonder if small passageways are corroded internally, and a small piece just cuts loose? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, this happens around every 1K miles.
Harris
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: 3rd time- Carb problems!

Post by CanuckHoss »

SEAFOAM...1/3 of a can per tank...for 3 tanks...or 6 tanks...could be gumming somewhere inside. For the cost of a can or two it is well worth it. I have seen it work miracles on a fuel system best a V8 or Vtwin. Then after that at least you know the carb is not gummed and it is clean...go from there after.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I had a similar problem with my BH
Go here http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/2014/03/oh ... nwell.html
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Sorry about the trouble - what a bummer! I agree with Barry on the Seafoam, I use it routinely as well.

I sent my Edelbrock to Carb Mike for a rebuild seven years ago. One of the best moves I've ever made for my BH. He's right in PA as well.

Good Luck!

Bill
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
Harris

Post by Harris »

OK, I have used "Seafoam" in the past but never put a bike on a 3-6 tank program. Ill try that, it sounds like a good idea. I also like the idea sending the carb to carb Mike in Erie, but Id be heartbroken not having that big scoot for that long! Perhaps over the winter. Hey Carl, I agree with you on the fuel thing. Ethanol (as any mechanic knows) can cause problems with older and even some newer fuel systems.
Harris
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

If bike sat that long I would clean out tank an replace fuel lines just replacing fuel filter not enough their could be something getting buy especially if cleaning carb 1000 miles fixes for short time just my opinion
Harris

Post by Harris »

Hey Butkicker. When I got this bike the tank was desert dry. Loaded with rust from sitting dry / empty so long. I did a major internal cleaning then Creem coated it. What a pain in the ass that was! Before being back on the road I installed a very good chrome automotive fuel filter. Not 1 speck of anything inside that filter that I can see.
Harris
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Not to trying to Insult you but sometimes the obvious gets overlooked ... Did you swap out all the fuel lines for new? I prefer using the Fuel line designed for Fuel Injection as it is typically much better quality for nominally more money. Rubber "powder" flaking off the casing can cause Idle circuit issues and flush away undetected. Those passages are pretty small.

I know you have noticed the mileage interval BUT have you taken ride duration into the picture? Is it possible that your ignition is heating up and failing intermittently?
Had that happen to me with the rail buggy. Would run like a top in the shop and around the neighborhood but after blasting down the trails it acted like dirt was all in my junk. Turned out to be a weak Coil. just a thought ...
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Harris

Post by Harris »

petitemoose wrote:Not to trying to Insult you but sometimes the obvious gets overlooked ... Did you swap out all the fuel lines for new? I prefer using the Fuel line designed for Fuel Injection as it is typically much better quality for nominally more money. Rubber "powder" flaking off the casing can cause Idle circuit issues and flush away undetected. Those passages are pretty small.

I know you have noticed the mileage interval BUT have you taken ride duration into the picture? Is it possible that your ignition is heating up and failing intermittently?
Had that happen to me with the rail buggy. Would run like a top in the shop and around the neighborhood but after blasting down the trails it acted like dirt was all in my junk. Turned out to be a weak Coil. just a thought ...
HA! "petite moose" you'd have to try harder than that to insult me! :monkeyup: My wildcat received a fairly involved re-build and paint job immediately after it was delivered to me. It was a "demo" unit and was never titled to anybody. It was however, abused badly and neglected. Yes indeed, the fuel lines were replaced. Standard 3/8 rubber fuel line with SS braiding on the outside. I too thought it could be an intermittent issue with the coil. The rough running issue was still there after the bike sat. I tried going on test rides twice after the initial problem, it was running the same- badly. (Hot coils firing intermittently are something Ive dealt with before with other vehicles) I even replaced the plugs before they needed to be replaced. The old plugs looked like they were burning perfectly. Your comment on the fuel lines has me interested. The SS/ rubber fuel line came from J and P. For now, Im following Barrys advice and running "Seafoam" for several tanks. I will post observations, and thanks! :D
Harris
Harris

Post by Harris »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! OK get this. Last Sunday got all ready to ride and the Wildcat wouldn't start. (Took the Chief so the day wasn't a loss)) I felt sure the accelerator pump had failed, as it had once before and I knew the motor was starving for fuel. A new pump was received today from Jegs. Upon disassembly I took a really close look at the accelerator pump bore with a flashlight. Same as before, clean with the little blue O-ring at the bottom of the carb body, under the spring. Well, that O-ring just didn't look right when viewed closely. I called Edlelbrock Tech and the dude told me right away there should only be a spring contacting the bottom of the carb body. Turns out the O-ring was crushed up pieces of old accelerator pump washers that had torn off and accumulated there!!! :wft: The spring had apparently squeezed the pieces into what looked like an O-ring. I guess every so often a small piece would cut loose and clog things up. Got her all back together and went for a 20 mile test run. Never missed a beat!!! :monkeyup: Looking forward to this weekend!! Shiny side up, eh?
Harris
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:thumbup: