Rear brake master cylinder - anyone price one recently?

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Hanginon

Rear brake master cylinder - anyone price one recently?

Post by Hanginon »

Hello all,

My rear brake master is bypassing and I need to rebuild or replace it.. wondering if anyone has priced one lately before I get on the phone and think I'm hearing things when they give me a price? Also, has anyone found an alternative outlet for rebuild kits?

Thanks for any replies... if you have a good one you want to sell, that would be ok too. My boots are getting kind of thin so it's time to replace it I reckon...

Jim
"It ain't over till the secondaries open"!!!
petitemoose

Re: Rear brake master cylinder - anyone price one recently?

Post by petitemoose »

I put the Updated brake kit on my 05 and have not regretted it one bit. Should I have the desire, I can now lock up my rear brakes all day every day without fade. I know the price is a bit numbing ($1200) but compared to what I had before it is cheap.
My rear brakes before were good for about 3 seconds of med/hard use then would fade away for 45 minutes. Pretty scary actually as I would ride around with no rear brake essentially a lot of the time. Not a worry now.
At Daytona, I noticed they were not right and felt like the pads were glazed over. The BH Guys Took it all apart and they were. They were perplexed as they didn't have a new set of pads with them. I showed them how a redneck fixed these situations. loL I grabbed one and rubbed it on the blacktop for about 10 seconds and there were roughed up. Work great again :)

Back to YOUR topic ... I looked in the garage for the MC take-off and remembered that i already gave it away to a guy in Nevada. FYI, the kit they sent me was for a 5/8 Bore Wildwood Unit. If need be, I can look on the box for a more specific part number.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Hanginon wrote:Hello all,

My rear brake master is bypassing and I need to rebuild or replace it.. wondering if anyone has priced one lately before I get on the phone and think I'm hearing things when they give me a price? Also, has anyone found an alternative outlet for rebuild kits?

Thanks for any replies... if you have a good one you want to sell, that would be ok too. My boots are getting kind of thin so it's time to replace it I reckon...

Jim
Jim....

I may have a take off here from a swap over to the new brakes...will check in the morning...can you email me a picture of your's itsradu@gmail.com or post here??

Thanks
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

Thank you both for the reply (PM & Barry),

Moose, your right about the "redneck" thing lol, I usually just turn on the belt sander and it's all good in about 5 seconds... good move!!

Barry, I will email you a pic of the master this morning when I get in the shop. I was thinking yesterday that the master looks very similar to a Harley one and the first owner of this bike confirmed the same notion. However, I am not sure if the stroke of the piston is different or the bore size, so buying a kit could be tricky. It does appear to be an original unit. The rear caliper was changed to a larger 4 piston Wildwood unit however.

I'm going to try one more thing before replacing it as well.

Again, thank you!

Jim
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

If it's the regular rectangular aluminum M/Cyl, the kits are available from all the usual vendors. Its a Harley-Davidson kit, OEM# 42374-77B. I got mine from Amazon last year. About 18-20 bucks. HD wanted 70!?!?! Yeah, good luck with that
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

Carl,

Thanks for the info! I located what I believe is a kit in my stock pile of stuff but turns out I did not need it. It occurred to me that I may have overlooked something yesterday so I went after the issue again today. Findings: An air bubble somehow got trapped in the brake switch "T" and would not move off it until I power flushed the fluid through with some velocity.. I am suspect of the master possibly contracting overnight on cool down and pulling some air into itself by way of the seals on the engagement shaft. We'll see, but I sure hope I'm wrong and it was just a fluke thing. I really appreciate the thoughts from all and hope it helps anyone else having this issue in the future. Will repost if it happens again and what the problem turns out being.

Jim