Trans temp sensor

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
GordonBH

Trans temp sensor

Post by GordonBH »

Hi all,

Changing my trans oil and thought I'll take the advice of all to fit a temp sensor. I was focussed on drilling and tapping straight holes and threads so used a Big Gator drill guide and to save pennies used it also as a tap guide.

I raised it off the surface using a nut and washers (yes, I'm a cheapskate but follow the Boy Genius(tm) school) :D You just tap and as it sinks in pull off guide and remove a washer or 2 and back again, nice and straight.
gator tap guide.jpg
I didn't thread it all the way through and the sensor tightens up as it gets flush, I haven't really tightened firmly yet.

My question is do you recommend some PTFE? I am assuming it earths through the threads though or is it's submersion in the oil enough of an earth?

Happily, no trace of anything untoward in the trans oil or magnet and I have one of those - looks like a small ridged filter does it pull straight down? I don't want to force anything
Thanks
Gordon from England
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Trans temp sensor

Post by Carl La Fong »

I would use a bit of the Teflon. I'm certain enough of it will rub away so that you will get continuity through the threads. If there is a problem, you can always clean it off. Pipe threads usually don't leak.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Thanks, I'll try that.

The small trans filter inside just pulls down for cleaning? I have an 07 SB
Gordon from England
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

GordonBH wrote:Thanks, I'll try that.

The small trans filter inside just pulls down for cleaning? I have an 07 SB
I don't know about the newer 2 speeds but on my 2000 , 2 speed you have to very careful when removing the filter from the tube as not to force it because if the filter tube loosens the only way to tighten it is to remove and disassemble the Trans . I think that has been changed on the later transmissions though . Seems like there should be a hose clamp of some sort holding the filter on the tube .
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi HogV8,

Thanks for the reply. I examined the filter very closely and gently pulled directly downwards (which was the concensus of opinion), it is a vertical tube with no attachments around it and it easily came off. It is held on to the feed tube by an O-ring.

It's very clean anyway, but always good practice to clean all cleanable filters at an oil change - it's hanging there anyway.

The temp sensor is in tightly and continuity is good between the body of the sensor and pan and the test light is very dim at the output end. 3.75 Litres came out of the pan.

Time to wire it up and refill trans oil.
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

GordonBH wrote:Hi HogV8,

Thanks for the reply. I examined the filter very closely and gently pulled directly downwards (which was the concensus of opinion), it is a vertical tube with no attachments around it and it easily came off. It is held on to the feed tube by an O-ring.

It's very clean anyway, but always good practice to clean all cleanable filters at an oil change - it's hanging there anyway.

The temp sensor is in tightly and continuity is good between the body of the sensor and pan and the test light is very dim at the output end. 3.75 Litres came out of the pan.

Time to wire it up and refill trans oil.
3.75 came out due to drain back from convertor...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

I installed a tranny temp sensor on my oil level sight glass.
Sorry no pics but replaced the bottom brass elbow fitting with a Tee. The Tee still has the nipple to slip on the sight tube but also has a 1/8" female tap which I used for the temp probe.
My local Napa dealer stocks lot of useful stuff.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Wish I had a NAPA store, our parts suppliers are euro parts places really.

I thought 3.75 was too much for just the pan, but the bike's been sitting for a while and will have drained. My manual says 3 US quarts for the "auto transmission" = 2.84 litres. I assume that's just the pan without converter drain.

The Boss Hoss bike book quotes 5.75 US Qts capacity = 5.44 L so I've got 1.69 L in the converter etc. So if I refill the pan with 3.75 fresh and run the bike with the right side cooler hose draining into a measuring jug then 2 Litres old out and 2 litres new in (1.9 US Qts) should do it.

Is my logic right?
Gordon from England