WOT the heck

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

WOT the heck

Post by Carl La Fong »

I've been dinking around with my carburetor for seven years. Two rebuilds and it still isn't right. I know, why didn't I send it to Carb Mike in the first place? I dunno, dumb I guess. Anyway, while trying to improve it myself, I installed throttle shaft bushings since my shaft bores were badly worn. (See my internationally syndicated blog for more). They made a bit of a difference, I can now adjust for a decent idle. The idle is still too rich, I think. It stinks and smokes. I will be sending it to Mike after the holidays for a Stage 2 rebuild. The other day, I took it for a test ride with the tank and air cleaner off. I whacked the throttle several times and noticed that the secondaries weren't opening at WOT. I thought something was stuck. After some investigation, I realized that there was not enough travel with the cable attached to the ball end on the butterfly shaft at the stock location. In seven year of owning this bike, I've never been into the secondaries!!!! I made up a little bracket to move the ball end closer to the shaft centerline and, Bingo, the secondaries open. I haven't ridden it yet. Got too busy with other stuff. I have to set the timing and fiddle fart with a few more settings and then I can take it out. I suspect it will scare the crap out of me when I nail it. I'm not an aggressive rider any more. My reflexes aren't what they used to be, but I think it will be fun anyway
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: WOT the heck

Post by Iron Maiden »

Can't wait to read the ride report!! :burnout:

Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

:funnyshit:

I too look forward to hearing about your first experience with secondaries!! Better late than never I suppose.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I ran a vacuum secondary holley while my carb was with Carb Mike. Had to take the vacuum pod off so it would fit between the frame, so only primary worked. Didn't notice any difference in the burnouts, but that was the only testing I did.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Today I finally found time to reassemble the bike. I reset the timing, it was way off. I loosened the secondary air valve spring a tad since they weren't opening consistently when I hit WOT in the shop. Out on the street, I ran it up to 20 MPH and nailed the throttle. CHEESE AND RICE!!!! The rear tire tried to change places with the front. I just about soiled myself. This might turn out to be the most fun I've ever had or the most time spent in a body cast. I'm still gonna send the carb to Mike, later on. If it runs even better after that, I can't imagine how it will feel
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

"CHEESE AND RICE" :toofunny: thanks for the update -I was able to get quite a visual from your post!!