Belt Tension

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
petitemoose

Belt Tension

Post by petitemoose »

Interesting note about Belt tension I learned the hard way ...
I have had my belt tension at 300 - 350 for about 8 months now. Belt noise went away and I felt the pull against the tranny output shaft was better off with the lower tension against it. Belt never slipped under hard acceleration ( I was always going over 30 when I went into the secondaries )
Well. here's the downside to that. Having the tension that low will cause the belt to snap in half if you have to / choose to give her hell from a dead stop. According to the Gates Belt rep, there is still "slack" in the line even when tensioned at 300 lbs. that when a lot of power is applied will be taken up very quickly and cause the belt to snap.
If you never take off in drag race fashion, then this will probably never happen to you, but remember it if you ever feel froggy one day and decide to jump
Attachments
SnappedBelt.jpg
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Butkicker

Re: Belt Tension

Post by Butkicker »

Bummer Dennis ! I always wondered about the lower tension on my 2001 always ran 450 lbs as that was told me by dealer

Sorry to here bad luck bit of a pain to change
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

That sucks!! But good to know.any damage on the bike due to the belt? Were you close to home or had to get towed?

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Moose, I don't believe it. The tire will spin first unless you have a slick. Its my opinion and I been running low tension for six years. I don't hammer mine from a dead stop often but in six years I've raced enough that if it was gonna happen it would have. I have a small hole in my belt that a rock punctured when I didn't have a lower guard about 5 years ago. Never replaced it and been to CANADA, OREGON, UTAH, and CALIFORNIA lots of times with the same no squeal belt. If I was you I'D reap the benifits of the low tension and not worry about breaking the belt. The difference in the SLACK between 300 and 400 is zero, there is a difference in STRETCH. This is my opinion and its just another opinion based on nothing but experience.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I wasn't on the bike when it happened and nothing was damaged as there was no real speed when it snapped. Mike @ Summit was taking it for a "ride it like you stole it" test ride ( at my request / blessing ) after making some mods and tuning to the scoot. He said it was the first bike he ever snapped a belt on so he called the gates guys and what I passed on was the Info Gates gave us.
I will more than likely go back to low tension because I won't hit the juice until I am rolling on pretty good... These bikes weren't made for "Launching"
As a benefit to replacing the belt, he found that my swingarm bushings were toast and swapped them out for me. Looking forward to getting the scoot back this week sometime and taking it for my own Ride it like u stole it test ride :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I snapped my belt the same way, shortly after I got the bike. I got on it, just a little, from a stop sign. I don't know what my tension was set at since I didn't have a gauge when I bought the bike. The cause will, forever, remain a mystery
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:Moose, I don't believe it. The tire will spin first unless you have a slick. Its my opinion and I been running low tension for six years. I don't hammer mine from a dead stop often but in six years I've raced enough that if it was gonna happen it would have. I have a small hole in my belt that a rock punctured when I didn't have a lower guard about 5 years ago. Never replaced it and been to CANADA, OREGON, UTAH, and CALIFORNIA lots of times with the same no squeal belt. If I was you I'D reap the benifits of the low tension and not worry about breaking the belt. The difference in the SLACK between 300 and 400 is zero, there is a difference in STRETCH. This is my opinion and its just another opinion based on nothing but experience.
I agree 100% Dave....a stock SB is not a tire burner or rocket...even letting off the throttle and getting on it quick as possible the torque convertor should load the drive train faster than the power can get to the belt...obviously something happened...it could have been on its way out before would be my guess or Mike just has a quicker than usual wrist action...

Glad you are getting it looked at Dennis and running properly...you gas bill should go down substantially...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

CanuckHoss wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:Moose, I don't believe it. The tire will spin first unless you have a slick. Its my opinion and I been running low tension for six years. I don't hammer mine from a dead stop often but in six years I've raced enough that if it was gonna happen it would have. I have a small hole in my belt that a rock punctured when I didn't have a lower guard about 5 years ago. Never replaced it and been to CANADA, OREGON, UTAH, and CALIFORNIA lots of times with the same no squeal belt. If I was you I'D reap the benifits of the low tension and not worry about breaking the belt. The difference in the SLACK between 300 and 400 is zero, there is a difference in STRETCH. This is my opinion and its just another opinion based on nothing but experience.
I agree 100% Dave....a stock SB is not a tire burner or rocket...even letting off the throttle and getting on it quick as possible the torque convertor should load the drive train faster than the power can get to the belt...obviously something happened...it could have been on its way out before would be my guess or Mike just has a quicker than usual wrist action...

Glad you are getting it looked at Dennis and running properly...you gas bill should go down substantially...
LoL Mike is used to High hp bikes and his wrist probably turns a lot faster and harder than mine. In any event, I am happy to have a new belt and from what he tells me the bike runs a WHOLE lot better. I had him check my work on the 1.6's, time the bike, Install the 1904 from Carb Mike and tune it to the bike then Install the 150 shot. The shot is on the horn and should be fun to hit goofing around.

It's going to be nice getting more than 8 - 9 mpg!!

Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow ... hopefully :)