Big block virsis Small block

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Big block virsis Small block

Post by hogv8 »

I know big blocks have all kinds of torque and power but has anyone ever actually raced a stock BB against a good running slightly modified SB in either a 1/8 or 1/4 mile . I've heard and I believe that it would be a lot closer race than some might think . :poke:
Last edited by hogv8 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wag

Re: Big block vrsis Small block

Post by wag »

I'd run a stock BB any day with my SB. The SB has more RPM's to work with.
hogv8

Re: Big block vrsis Small block

Post by hogv8 »

My theory is if you take the weight to HP a 400 HP SB compared to the weight to HP of a BB combined with less wheel spin of the SB compared to a BB I think the SB would win the drag race but I have no statistical proof . That's why I'm asking if anyone has ever raced one against the other or knows the time comparison . I do realize in a rolling start the BB may have the advantage .
petitemoose

Re: Big block virsis Small block

Post by petitemoose »

I suggest that this be explored at the next gathering :) Video wold be nice for those that cannot attend!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
sharp1

Post by sharp1 »

I'll race and go for the longest burnout with my sb
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

I'd have to give the SB the nod...Little lighter , less wheel spin = better E.T's ..Randy..Jack you may have a PM
phpBB [video]
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

randy burkey wrote:I'd have to give the SB the nod...Little lighter , less wheel spin = better E.T's ..Randy..Jack you may have a PM

I don't see the PM Randy ???
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Not sure anyone cares but a BB Trike will eat a small block for lunch. I've been on both sides of fence and
it's not even a close race.

Maybe the trike can put the power and torque to the pavement in a more efficient manner.

....Johnston, Iowa
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

I think a trike can better put the BB power the ground...Thus overcoming the extra weight disadvantage. And at least from my perspective .A big block bike is not a drag racer.But a burnout machine....Jack I just wanted to ask what series Falken you bought..Thanks Randy :thanks:
phpBB [video]
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I think a stock BB will beat a stock SB without any problem if they both have a skilled rider. If the SB isn't stock then all bets are off. I also agree with Randy that the BB isn't a drag racer but its a torque monster and will burn rubber at will.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

randy burkey wrote:Jack I just wanted to ask what series Falken you bought..Thanks Randy :thanks:
Falken discontinued the XEIV or whatever it was called. I just put a Falken P25560R15 SN211 on my bike. I haven't had it on the freeway yet, but it seems fine, so far
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

randy burkey wrote:I think a trike can better put the BB power the ground...Thus overcoming the extra weight disadvantage. And at least from my perspective .A big block bike is not a drag racer.But a burnout machine....Jack I just wanted to ask what series Falken you bought..Thanks Randy :thanks:
Randy , I run a Metz 280-18 now . John has the new number .
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Ooops My bad..Sorry Jack..It was Carl that got the new tire..Thanks Carl..And hope your happy with it..
phpBB [video]
roscobbc

Re: Big block vs Small block

Post by roscobbc »

Guys I'm not qualified to talk about SB vs BB in a bike chassis - but if there is any comparison re. the same combinations in a car then ultimately a big block just has to out perform a small block in every respect - ie. alloy block BB is not significantly heavier than iron block SB. BB is perfectly capable of revving at least as well as a SB with the right heads. A BB will always have potentially better top end breathing owing to bigger bores and spacing, allowing larger valves. Of cause non of this top end stuff is really needed with a BB when built carefully for a wide torque spread. A BB 540+ cu in on a 4.50" or 4.60" bore just has to kill a small block - (provided sb normally aspirated - if not, all bets are off). The great leveller has to be traction (or lack of) - I'm guessing bike guys don't have the advantage of weight transfer off the line?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

If you are talking stock tires then it is really hard to race a BB and also probably a modified SB due to the wheel spin/traction loss...a willing passenger would be needed to gain the traction needed and those are few and far between..
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

CanuckHoss wrote:If you are talking stock tires then it is really hard to race a BB and also probably a modified SB due to the wheel spin/traction loss...a willing passenger would be needed to gain the traction needed and those are few and far between..
Not really ... you simply don't tell them what's about to happen ;)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:If you are talking stock tires then it is really hard to race a BB and also probably a modified SB due to the wheel spin/traction loss...a willing passenger would be needed to gain the traction needed and those are few and far between..
Not really ... you simply don't tell them what's about to happen ;)
yeah right..I can hear you now.."we are going for a really short ride...yep...just hop on the back..we are leaving the pits and going to the staging area...you will see a set of trees with lights..dont worry about the guy beside us...just watch the pretty lights go from red to yellow to green and then HOLD THE FUCK ON FOR THE NEXT 8 OR 9 SECONDS!"
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

roscobbc wrote:Guys I'm not qualified to talk about SB vs BB in a bike chassis - but if there is any comparison re. the same combinations in a car then ultimately a big block just has to out perform a small block in every respect - ie. alloy block BB is not significantly heavier than iron block SB. BB is perfectly capable of revving at least as well as a SB with the right heads. A BB will always have potentially better top end breathing owing to bigger bores and spacing, allowing larger valves. Of cause non of this top end stuff is really needed with a BB when built carefully for a wide torque spread. A BB 540+ cu in on a 4.50" or 4.60" bore just has to kill a small block - (provided sb normally aspirated - if not, all bets are off). The great leveller has to be traction (or lack of) - I'm guessing bike guys don't have the advantage of weight transfer off the line?
BB has more of an advantage in a car because a car weighs more and takes more torque to move it. A SB revs quicker and in a bike that doesn't need much torque to move it due to the weight, the advantage of big cu inches is lessened. In my opinion a stock BB will always beat a stock SB with equally skilled riders in a Boss Hoss. The new stock LS engines in Boss Hoss bikes will beat a BB even though they are actually a small block. My V8 Chopper with a 350 SB ZZ4 will beat a stock Boss Hoss BB. I believe its due to less weight and a trans thats less parasitic.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

SQ4MN wrote: I believe its due to less weight and a trans thats less parasitic.
Just how much hp does the nesco rob... 50, 70?
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

More like about 150 HP .