Electronic choke advice please

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
GordonBH

Electronic choke advice please

Post by GordonBH »

In support of this site I want to add to the tech database and post a question I've just posted on the other side. :)

I have an 07 zz4 385hp with electronic choke. It's new to me so I've only started it a few times.

Time 1 = useless (pilot error) it had been sitting for 2 months (dry bowls?) and I only gave the throttle a half twist. It took me 15 mins of coaxing after I tried pumping a couple of times etc. I'd flooded it.

The previous owner advised 1 FULL twist so next day I did that and Roar! first stab of button.

Same a couple of days after. So I was a happy bunny.

(A month later) I tried yesterday and no roar. I am told (by some on the other site) dry bowls from sitting for more than 2 weeks. Recommendations to go manual choke followed.

But there must be a way to overcome dry bowls etc with an electronic choke - do I need to set it with a full twist and if no immediate fire up then a couple of pumps? or will that flood the Holley 750cfm?

Any help appreciated

:scotland: (as it's January getting ready for Burn's night) :capwin:
Gordon from England
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: Electronic choke advice please

Post by V8Bikers »

Gordon, I found these articles on how to adjust the electronic choke on a Holley carb. Perhaps that is all it needs?

http://forums.holley.com/entry.php?439- ... Carburetor

http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to- ... carburetor

Also, I never had an electronic choke but on the various Boss'es I've had, especially after sitting for more than a few days is to twist the throttle fully 4-5 times to juice the carb. Never had a manual choke so I cannot comment on that. Hopefully, someone who has one will chime in.

Was curious about Burns night and found this:

http://www.visitscotland.com/blog/scotl ... ight-2013/

phpBB [video]

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

As I mentioned on the other site, hold the throttle 1/2 open while cranking. Remember that you have an electric fuel pump which will push fuel with the ignition "on." Turn the ignition "on" and crack or pump the throttle w/o hitting the start switch, this will allow fuel to fill the carb bowl. Now start the bike, if a little problem then attempt a start w/ the throttle about 1/2 way open.
Buck
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi guys,

Great stuff, I have much more confidence now I know more about the interaction of the fuel pump and choke. That's the problem with having small 1.3litre bikes in the past with small and simple carbs.

Great sites Bill - I'll wait till I exhaust Buck's good advice which is great to have on this site's tech board too.

And re Burn's night, it's a great excuse to eat haggis (an acquired taste) and drink lots of Scotch. :tequila:

:scotland:
Gordon from England
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

GordonBH wrote: And re Burn's night, it's a great excuse to eat haggis (an acquired taste) and drink lots of Scotch. :tequila:

:scotland:
After Drinking Lots of Scotch ... you can eat just about anything!! :capwin:
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I cannot figure out what a dry float bowl and the choke have to do with one another. The fuel will evaporate after a while if the bike sits too long. Whether the choke is working or not, the bowls will still dry out. The choke will not help them to stay full or to help them fill back up
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I have my fuel pressure gage mounted on my bottom triple tree so I can see it while riding and it is tapped into my fuel line just before the carb inlet . When ever my engine sets for a while (like a week or two ) without starting it , it takes a few seconds to build up to normal fuel pressure but I'm not sure if this is also telling me that the float bowl is full , I don't think so but I'm not sure . Anyway I let the fuel pressure build up to normal (5lbs.) then wait another 10-15 seconds before cranking the engine with the choke closed and it usually starts right up .

I know when I'm in Florida on vacation and the bike sets out in the sun for a couple of days with a cover on it I believe to gas in the float bowl does evaporate because being in warm climate like that you'd think it would fire right up instantly but actually it cranks longer before it starts than it does in colder climate because the bowl is probably empty and has to fill up before it fires up .
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

My 2001 had no chock an a holly with center float bowls Just turned on key waited 5 sec twisted throttle 2 times always fired up little tougher at below 50 f but always easy start