Alternator replacement

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Swiss V8

Alternator replacement

Post by Swiss V8 »

I posted this on "the other site" as well.

My alternator died.

I found some articles for replacing it.
But as always there are mentioned two types: GM 10si and GM 12si :roll:

Which one is best to go for a standard 2001 SB?
There are also crome plated or polished ones. What's the better way to go?
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Buck
$ite $upporter

Re: Alternator replacement

Post by Buck »

Martin, I just told the auto store that I wanted a one wire 100 amp alternator for a small block Chevy as replacement for the Powermaster one. A tip, if you go with a one wire ground the alternator to the frame somewhere. A friend took of the case, chromed, enlarged one of the two rectifier bolt holes, installed a longer threaded screw, reassembled the case, a couple to three screws, placed two lock nuts, with the ground wire between them and then the wire to a ground. Chromed alternators with one wire frequently have a grounding problem. I posted this a couple years ago on the other V8 board and had several people respond stating that it cured their problems. A side note, V8 Choppers does this from the factory.
Buck
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Thank you for the idea Buck.

I ordered a new one at summit. It does have an extra thread in the back for a grounding wire. I'm going to use it for shure! 8-)

BTW
In Switzerland a rebuild would cost me about 400$ :shock:
A new one together with a Holey Red and schipping from Summit USA to Switzerland costs only 390$ :roll:
Martin

BHRA President Europe
AR

Post by AR »

400 rebuild :shock: sounds like they were trying you on Martin, unless that included a rechrome which it would also need by now. Somebody once told me that the BH alt pully is smaller than the stock pulley that way it would spin faster i guess at low revs. Not sure if its true or not as i never compared but let us know when you get it.
Ric

Post by Ric »

You know Rob, I often think with all of the mechanical anomolies we sometimes have in a Boss Hoss, that many many hundreds of thousands of cars that have these motors, component parts, etc... can skate through life for a good ten years or more before they have 'minor' problems.

I wonder how come we are so different when we put the similar drive train over two wheels instead, we have more problems.....

These are the contemplative thoughts that haunt a troubled mind.

That, and the fact that my cat Raven, goads me into asking such rediculous questions...

Sheesh!

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
AR

Post by AR »

Ric...not sure if you really asked a question in there big fella but i know exactly where you are coming from. Its my view that these 2 & 3 wheel V8/10/12 fuckers we ride are not supposed to exist in a civilized society. We havent got a nice enviro controlled insulated muffled weather protected and ipod compatible stiffened chassy protecting the laboratory designed mechanics. Instead liberty & loopholes in the system have allowed our blessed manufacturers to get away with stuffing and selling a stock car motor in a flimsy roadgoing cycle frame for 20 years so far, and lets hope they can scam another 20...unlikely :roll: .

I'm more surprised they are as reliable and servicable as they are.

Obviously I live with a cat too. :lol:
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Martin,
when my alternator went south on the 99 single speed bike, I bought an overhaul kit from Summit along with a new Powermaster Alternator. It was not exactly an overhaul kit, it was this kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1667/?rtype=10

I installed all the components of the kit to my old alternator as a spare. Didn't had the chance (or the bad luck) to test the spare alternator, but I hope it will charge again. I should better test it some rainy day and change the alternators just to be safe in the case of need, but I'm too lazy..hahahaha...

My 07 SS came with a Powermaster alternator from the factory....and I found an overhaul kit for it at Summit....at least they say it's an overhaul kit for Powermaster alternators, and it contains even new bearings (which didn't came with the Summit kit for the 99 Boss).

It's this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-912/

But I assume that one kit can't fit all alternators Powermaster ever offered, or does it? I'm not sure. If it goes south someday, it would be nice to have a rebuild kit handy. I would like to order it with the next Summit order.

So - did someone rebuilt his factory stock Powermaster alternator with this kit?? And did it fit??

Olaf
Last edited by KrautV8 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , I agree , it's a lot easier to carry the rebuild kit on our bikes than it would be to carry a spare alternator . Let us know if this kit will rebuild any 100 amp Powermaster alternator .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Jack,
I have just seen almost the same subject on the .com site and according to the pic Shane posted about the difference of 10SI compared to 12SI alternators - I seem to have a 10SI style alternator housing....hmmm...ah, too bad...the rebuild kit is for 12SI only, so I think it won't work for us :roll:

Olaf

SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

KrautV8 wrote:Jack,
I have just seen almost the same subject on the .com site and according to the pic Shane posted about the difference of 10SI compared to 12SI alternators - I seem to have a 10SI style alternator housing....hmmm...ah, too bad...the rebuild kit is for 12SI only, so I think it won't work for us :roll:

Olaf

I am surprised of that Olaf, my bike has a 12SI and the information I read was showing that 10SI is normally a lower output than what we have. You aren't looking at the wire connector position are you? As that changes between models for fitment to the vehicle. I believe the air intake is the easiest place to look. I just looked at my alternator and the air intake matches the 12SI, funny though the other side where there are 2 round holes I have 5, the pic of 10SI shows 6. Probably something that changed over the years.

Shane
Tom

Post by Tom »

Olaf.... I have used that kit and it worked just great.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

My alternator looks the same as the 12SI on the back but mine is a Powermaster 100 AMP not a Delco Remy or is it A Delco Remy Powermaster ??

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Shane,
you are right! I went down to the garage and compared my alternator from my (bad) memory and thought it's a 10SI - I should have print the pics to avoid such mistakes. :oops: I took a second look and it's a 12SI, like you said. That's great!

Tom,
thanks for the info, now I will include a kit to my next Summit order 8-)

Jack,
I was about to ask the same question like you...maybe someone has an answer.

Thanks,
Olaf
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

I don't like chromed aliu. It flakes, peels, and looks like sXXit.
I found a rebuilt highly polished 100amp on E bay for just a
little more than the rebuild kit from Summit.
I think it was $70-80. IT LOOKS GREAT.

Paul H
AR

Post by AR »

PIrate Rob wrote:400 rebuild :shock: sounds like they were trying you on Martin, unless that included a rechrome which it would also need by now. Somebody once told me that the Boss Hoss alt pully is smaller than the stock pulley that way it would spin faster i guess at low revs. Not sure if its true or not as i never compared but let us know when you get it.
Yep for the record its true that the pully on the alt from BH is smaller diameter than the stock ebay/zone/whatev unit, effectively making the alt spin faster. Its no problem to swap them over but i guess you want to do it before you put the new one back on.

Pir.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

What's the purpose of the added ground wire on the 1 wire alternator when it's already solidly bolted in? Isn't that grounded enough?
2009 350/385 MBH bike