California Boss Hoss Transmission Oil Cooler Kit

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
SQ4MN

Re: California Boss Hoss Transmission Oil Cooler Kit

Post by SQ4MN »

I rode my bike to Los Angeles from Las Vegas last night as some of us old farts are in a club that meets the last Friday of every month at BOBS BIGBOY restaurant. It was about 62 degrees out and a little under 300 miles for the trip. Riding most of the time at about 85 MPH the trans temp was always only about 140 degrees and on the one steep hill which is about 12 miles long it got to a little under 150 degrees. Is there such a thing as to low a temperature? If so what would that be. It takes my bike about 15 miles riding in low gear around 35 to 45 MPH before I get on the freeway for the temperature to get just over 100 degrees. I don't like to put it in second until the temp gets at least 120 degrees and until it gets to about 140 it feels a little mushy when you shift from first to second. After 140 it shifts with a positive no slip feel. Dave

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:Olaf , here's a picture of my rear tranny oil cooler mounted behind the tranny .This cooler is a different make than the front cooler but is a double pass also . I was thinking of fabricating a air deflector to direct more air flow to it but in conjunction with the front cooler it seems to work fine as it is .

Jack
Jack,
when I asked you to post a pic of your rear mounted cooler, I already knew you sure come up with something special.

I think a cooler should be as unvisible as possible, cause they are all ugly like hell, and your idea is the best I have seen. I will install a rear mounted tranny oil cooler next winter, too. I do also think there are a lot of turbulences under the bike, there shouldn't be a need for a deflector.

Really good idea, that rear mounted heat sink cooler - and very clean work, as usual.

Thanks for posting,
Olaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

SQ4MN wrote:I rode my bike to Los Angeles from Las Vegas last night as some of us old farts are in a club that meets the last Friday of every month at BOBS BIGBOY restaurant. It was about 62 degrees out and a little under 300 miles for the trip. Riding most of the time at about 85 MPH the trans temp was always only about 140 degrees and on the one steep hill which is about 12 miles long it got to a little under 150 degrees. Is there such a thing as to low a temperature? If so what would that be. It takes my bike about 15 miles riding in low gear around 35 to 45 MPH before I get on the freeway for the temperature to get just over 100 degrees. I don't like to put it in second until the temp gets at least 120 degrees and until it gets to about 140 it feels a little mushy when you shift from first to second. After 140 it shifts with a positive no slip feel. Dave
I never heard of a too cold tranny oil. To my understanding an oil should build up more pressure when cold and loose pressure when hot and when it becomes thinner, that's what I have seen at all kind of engines - but my tranny is like yours, the shift is a little mushy when the tranny is cold, and it's a very positive shift, almost like a manual tranny, when it gets warmer. Seems like that's normal and in the nature of the tranny. Maybe the tolerances of the oil pump gets tighter along with the heat and the pump builds up more pressure to the clutch packs...?...

Olaf
Ric

Post by Ric »

hogv8 wrote:Olaf , here's a picture of my rear tranny oil cooler mounted behind the tranny .This cooler is a different make than the front cooler but is a double pass also . I was thinking of fabricating a air deflector to direct more air flow to it but in conjunction with the front cooler it seems to work fine as it is .

Jack

That is true Jack... air movement is air movement... and with a heat sink in the flow of air... will transfer heat. You having two set-ups of two heat sink coolers... is nothing short of having a refrigeration system on your transmission.

I'm sure down in the hotter climates, you set-up is the very best. Here in Further North America... where summers don't often get over 80 degrees... I'm thinking one of your cooler set ups should do us fine, and on the odd trips down your neck-of-the-woods... should still be fine.

Awesome posts!

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Still have not heard fro Don at California Boss Hoss about their kit and non-fitment to the LS..will give him a call tommorrow.

I am installing a sender and handlebar mount tranny temp gage on my 2008 SB same as Craig Haymaker did on his LS.....neat set up

Here are the 3 parts I ordered today:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd254.htm

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetai ... h&gid=3108

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd253.htm

I truly beleive a tranny temp gage should be standard equipment as well as a tranny reservoir of sorts and a better tranny cooler.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Barry,
you could also just install the sensor and a switch, using the water temp gauge.
Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

502wingman wrote:Barry,
you could also just install the sensor and a switch, using the water temp gauge.
Peter
Peter,

Unfortunately you can't do that on any fuel injected Hoss...LS or ZZ4...as the sender wires goes into the ECU and not directly to the gage as we found out yesterday...
CanuckHoss

Ric

Post by Ric »

Barry, when I come down there in April, maybe we could discuss mounting options with my bike right there, and cost of parts, etc. I can see that all I'd need is a resevoir, the cooler, and maybe a separate gauge for the Trans temp for my electric set up.

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ric wrote:Barry, when I come down there in April, maybe we could discuss mounting options with my bike right there, and cost of parts, etc. I can see that all I'd need is a resevoir, the cooler, and maybe a separate gauge for the Trans temp for my electric set up.
Ric...the setup that I am copying from Craig will be really nice and I will send you pcs...cost of everything is around $210 to $230...just need to get rid of your switch and send directly to the new gage.

I was too busy today to call BHC...tommorrow and see what they are crediting me for the cooler and what a reservoir costs.
CanuckHoss

Ric

Post by Ric »

I'll keep in touch on this... 230 seems cheap for a cooler, and resevoire and gage.... maybe I'm not understanding the obvious....

Thanks for the immediate and excellent service as usual... and let John know, his information to some of the problems I had with the front end during reassembly helped me immensely! SP?

Oh... and is the front fender 'directional'? they seem symetrical, that it can go on either way. But instead of the absolute 'centering' over the wheel like it was before... seems to be 'canted' to the right when viewed from sitting on the bike... is it a simple matter of lossening off the mounting bolts... and adjusting? Or do I have the bloody thing on upside down? LOL

gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Ric wrote:I'll keep in touch on this... 230 seems cheap for a cooler, and resevoire and gage.... maybe I'm not understanding the obvious....

Thanks for the immediate and excellent service as usual... and let John know, his information to some of the problems I had with the front end during reassembly helped me immensely! SP?

Oh... and is the front fender 'directional'? they seem symetrical, that it can go on either way. But instead of the absolute 'centering' over the wheel like it was before... seems to be 'canted' to the right when viewed from sitting on the bike... is it a simple matter of lossening off the mounting bolts... and adjusting? Or do I have the bloody thing on upside down? LOL
Ric,

possibly have the spacers on front wheel switched out,,,, this i think would be noticeable when installing calipers, maybe not. i do not know of stock fenders if they are reversible or not,, on that one you'll have to wait for a more knowledgable member to comment as i have steel fenders,,,

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Tom

Post by Tom »

May be one mount clamp is higher than the other...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ric wrote:I'll keep in touch on this... 230 seems cheap for a cooler, and resevoire and gage.... maybe I'm not understanding the obvious....

Ric,

That is why I handed the phone to John.

$230 is for the gage w/sender, mount and gage cup. The kit they sent me was $700 Canadian of which I could only use the reservoir...waiting for $$$ on credit when returning cooler.

The reservoire is extra but I still don't know how much as I left a message with Jim at CBH for Don to call my cell yesterday and he never called.

Not sure about the fender...I think Tom may be right...try loosening the muffler bearings for a bit of slack and then readjust the fender. :? :?
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Finally got in contact today with Don from CBH..

He was very apologetic about the kit not fitting the LS3 as I was told.

He will credit me back for the cooler that I could not use and I am sending back and will pay for shipping of it also.

Forgot to ask about the price of the tank reservoir only...
CanuckHoss

Ric

Post by Ric »

I put in new muffler bearings when Adrian Tom did my transmission. And they worked fine since then... so I feel that they are in co-ordinating equilibrium. Then it dawned on me. THAT's likely the reason why your fender is off set on the left side!.... The 'tire fill valve' is on the right side of the wheel... and when I pumped up the tire, I didn't allow the air to balance itself out on the LEFT side before installing the front fender!

So, naturally, I felt like a kid in Kindergarten trying to solve a Calculus Math Problem! Doh!

So I re-adjusted the air, forcing more to the right side of the tire, by increasing it's ramp angle. And while I was waiting for the air in the tire to stabalize, I re-aligned the front fender support brackets so they were at identical heights as Tom idly suggested...

And YEP! You Guessed it! The air balance did the trick!