Carb options for BB

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Carb options for BB

Post by CanuckHoss »

Tired of these Holleys on my 502 trike and 502 bike. On the highway never a beat shall be missed but stop and go traffic even with our cooler temps..like 70 -85 degrees F cause me grief in town sometimes and those sometimes are not fun!...

What are my options?? The 1910 Edelbrock is the preferred but looks like they are not made new...find a used one or two??

An Aftermarket shop here suggested Edelbrock 1406 and 1806 but I told him that the frame restrictions could cause either one not to fit...trial and error is not fun when buying new.

Has anybody ever tried one of these I mentioned??

OR...should i FI it like one of my techs wants to do?? If so...which EFI?? Would really like to stay cheap and go carb'd...

Could be an interesting thread... :popcorn:
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
randy burkey

Re: Carb options for BB

Post by randy burkey »

Barry, Sorry to hear your not happy with your Holleys,,Mine seems fine (knock on wood!) Didn't Ric run a Demon carb?? That may be an option..but I have no experience with them..Good luck..I don't recall what issues your having with the holley carbs ..But when my 07 big block was new I had the problem with the fuel pump or regulator that would cause major over fueling/ loading up...switched both and was good for years after.. Good luck.Randy
phpBB [video]
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ric's came with a Demon from new...he switched over to a Carby Mikes carb / fix and also had issues. Dont' quote me on this but I don't beleive that carb is on his bike now so not sure. Unfortunately we can't ask him.

Demon carbs have been "demons" to me..lol..but truly they have...and cost me BIG $$$$

I have a carb guy here that I trust fully and has never been wrong about any carb issues or suggestions. When I described what the Holley was doing on both my units he just nodded his head and knew...one word fix "Edelbrock"

I know there will be those who post and will stand by the Holleys but not me.

I put this thread to get answers to my questions as possed and hopefully not start a Holley VS Edelbrock VS Demon thing...

thanks Randy
CanuckHoss

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Barry,
I have a Pro Form on mine that one of the previous owners had put on. I called Mountain and they said they have never used them. Bike runs perfect at all speeds (with the exception of some recent running issues I was having but do not consider them to be carb related). V-Man likes them and had one on his stroker. Might be an option to look at. Here is the link to their site:

http://proformparts.specialtyauto.cores ... ccessories

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Barry

I believe this is what you are looking for;
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/j ... /overview/

I'd install this one were it my bike, 750cfm will run better;
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/h ... /overview/
Last edited by Grand Canard on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Grand Canard wrote:Barry
I believe this is what you are looking for;
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/j ... /overview/
I have to ask...it will 100% fit right?? Sorry
CanuckHoss

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

When I get my bike back ( hopefully this weekend ) I will have a carby Mike 1904 with electric choke that I can send you to try out. It was adjusted 9 ways to Sunday to run on my bike so it will need to be re-tuned by your carb guy. FYI, this is NOT the carb that was on the bike at Daytona that got 6 mpg. If you want, I will ship it to ya to try and see if it works for ya.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:When I get my bike back ( hopefully this weekend ) I will have a carby Mike 1904 with electric choke that I can send you to try out. It was adjusted 9 ways to Sunday to run on my bike so it will need to be re-tuned by your carb guy. FYI, this is NOT the carb that was on the bike at Daytona that got 6 mpg. If you want, I will ship it to ya to try and see if it works for ya.
I will ask my guy about the 1904...he told me 1910 for a BB so I need to have more info from him. I am sure he could go thru it and make it right if it were an option. thanks Dennis
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

petitemoose wrote:When I get my bike back ( hopefully this weekend ) I will have a carby Mike 1904 with electric choke that I can send you to try out. It was adjusted 9 ways to Sunday to run on my bike so it will need to be re-tuned by your carb guy. FYI, this is NOT the carb that was on the bike at Daytona that got 6 mpg. If you want, I will ship it to ya to try and see if it works for ya.
Just curious, did it not work good on your bike.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

SQ4MN wrote:
Just curious, did it not work good on your bike.
Yes and No. It idled great and WFO was amazing ... in between those two modes was iffy with dead spots. Perhaps because it was leaned out for mileage and the sb just doesn't pull the cfm's the carb was designed for.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I think I have a 1910 if thats what came stock in 2003 on my SB that carb mike did several years ago. It has been great so I just wondered if Mike is still doing good work. mine no longer has any choke so I just gotta squirt it a few times if its cold till it gets warm. It came with a vacuum operated choke that gave me problems so he just took the whole thing out.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

This carb is getting worse!!

60F in Calgary and it quit 4 different times on Gwen and I in traffic. Pulling away fairly fast floods itself right away and also tried pulling away quite slow..like the cars accelerate and it flooded just as fast...barely thru the intersection and I could feel trouble a brewing in the throttle....2 damn lights in a row...and I mean flooded...wide open throttle for 15 seconds to get it to start..SOAB!! and in 3 lane traffic having to pull over and stop the traffic for 30 seconds or so is not funny..

Something has run amuck in it...and running more amuck as the weeks progress...any ideas you Holley Carb guys?? Runs like a top on the highway.

I don't have a regulator..could it be that simple?? Gas mileage is the same so it seems hoghway running is still normal.

Proving hard to find a 1910 carb...

PS...my bike does exactly the same thing only worse this summer in the heat..give it from a light and let off and instant stop running due to flooding.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I pulled the front needle and seat and cleaned it out...could not see anything come out of it...replaced it and screwed the float level down 1 more turn from what it was..

Went into Calgary for a test-and-tune run after that little adjustment and purposely did side streets where I could pull over and simulate stopped in traffic. I did not want to stall again on a busy 3 lane. The trike never missed a beat...I could accelerate slowly or fast and let off and it never quit once in 45 minutes of testing.

In the next few days I will lift the tank so I can properly adjust the float levels as I may be a bit low in the front...I believe this could cause a lean condition but running for a bit like that won't hurt.

Maybe this winter I need to take off the tank and introduce myself and become familiar with Mr. Holley?
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Glad to hear you got her running better. Keep us posted. :popcorn:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

On Tuesday I lifted the tank and set the floats on the primary and secondary to exactly to a T where they should be...see the gas at the lip of the bottom of the hole but not run out...buttoned it up and started testing.

Well...SOAB..once it warmed up it was undrivable..evertime I started to accelerate it would flood the crap out of itself. Went back to the shop and adjusted the primary float level 1/2 turn down so the float level was lower..still crap...went back and adjusted secondary float 1/2 turn down..no difference...back to shop and set secondary back to correct setting but did the primary float another 1/2 turn and it is perfect.

So the trike will not run at what Holley and almost every thread on the internet says where to set the float. I am down 1 full turn on the needle and seat screw that adjusts the float...can someone explain why?? is it because it is on a trike?? is the carb just fubarred somehow in the primary bowl? a trike does not lean like a bike so should not affect...mind boggling to me.

Also..it would flood when going over speed bumps in parking lots at 2 mph when one tire goes over first as in rocking the trike until I set the float to the 1 turn lower...
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

I'm not a mechanic, far from it, but like a puzzle.

If excess gas is getting past the float bowl seats could it be a float is not as bouyant as it should be? Maybe a crack and there's gas in it?

Or it's pivot is jamming the float in the down position momentarily when it gets past a certain point - say after a jolt (speed bumps, potholes etc)? That could account for improvement when forcing the float to sit lower than normal on its pivot point (your extra 1 turn).

Now I accept I'm a nutcase Pan-tapper but just a couple of thoughts ... :ugeek:
Gordon from England
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

GordonBH wrote:Or it's pivot is jamming the float in the down position momentarily when it gets past a certain point - say after a jolt (speed bumps, potholes etc)? That could account for improvement when forcing the float to sit lower than normal on its pivot point (your extra 1 turn).

Now I accept I'm a nutcase Pan-tapper but just a couple of thoughts ... :ugeek:
Oh I see where this is going...........now he's going to ask you to tap your float to see if it sticks in the down position. This pan-tapping, float-tapping, float-jamming mania has just got to stop. IPAFTA is waaay too many letters. If we don't stop the madness now, we're all going to look like a group of riders severely affected with Parkinson's disease, trying to caress each and every piece of our bikes. Might as well park em and start a V8 street rhythm band.
:sheepkoolaid:
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

:what_he_said:

"IPTAFTA" = :toofunny: and a dangerous development!

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room for a while. 8-)

then watch the Holley video again.
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Ordered Friday and picked up today

Post by CanuckHoss »

Edelbrock model 1825 manual choke and 650 CFM from a local supplier

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...15C=1797485457

Install Wednesday morning...should be good
CanuckHoss

Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Holley's are great carburetors.
Rules;
Keep em clean with a quality 10 micron filter
If you use ethanol / gas blend E85-E15, etc, have to replace soft-goods with ethanol compatible parts else you're going to have problems; sucks, but is reality.
If you can't or don't want to rebuild your carb yourself, Box up that carb and ship it off to an expert.
What sucks on a BH is having to yank the tank, a real pain in the ass.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Grand Canard wrote:Holley's are great carburetors.
Rules;
Keep em clean with a quality 10 micron filter
If you use ethanol / gas blend E85-E15, etc, have to replace soft-goods with ethanol compatible parts else you're going to have problems; sucks, but is reality.
If you can't or don't want to rebuild your carb yourself, Box up that carb and ship it off to an expert.
What sucks on a BH is having to yank the tank, a real pain in the ass.
You are right...When they work and don't cause grief..yes..they are great..

I have had enough hassles that I want simple and more trouble free...might have issues with the Edelbrock but I doubt it...time will tell.

For me it is just time to try something else. For $360 bucks it is worth a shot and I will be the first to admit if there are issues.

And someone will come to the table with a few bucks for a great used low mileage Holley carb right???

ANY OFFERS????

The tank is something at least that non-mechanical me can easily have off in 30 minutes. On the trike I don't even need the tank back on to go for a blast with the new carb the 20 minutes into Calgary because I have a reserve tank. Any necessary adjustments / tuning can be done easily without the tank in place.

Wish me luck!!
CanuckHoss

Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Barry,

just in case your carb isn't any good - try the quick fuel I wrote about in another thread. Worked great in Europe, worked great in Florida and right out of the box.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/qft-bdq-850

Mark
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

GOOD LUCK !!

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Grand Canard wrote: What sucks on a BH is having to yank the tank, a real pain in the ass.
Ricky,since you are still building, you may want to consider what I did with my tank
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/2010/10/ta ... thing.html
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Just tried today and that 1825 carb I bought will not fit...only a 1901, 1904 or 1910 will fit. This is my friends first look / stab at a BB frame and there is not the room under the top frame rails that a SB has for these Edelbrocks..

Soooooo...Dennis?? Want to get that 1904 to me ASAP????? Call my cell please...and thank you

or anyone else with a 1901 or 1904 or 1910?? I am open to what you have. Going to check around here for rebuilds
CanuckHoss