Got Hit Yesterday

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
petitemoose

Got Hit Yesterday

Post by petitemoose »

Was turning right into a parking lot off a two lane road and the little girl behind me didn't see me turning ( Staring at her phone ) and she hit me doing about 30.
Nothing broken, no concussion, Bruised ribs, road rash and a puncture wound on the right ankle make moving around interesting.

Reason for the post is ... What kind of issues am I to expect from the Insurance company? We are both insured with Geico so hopefully that makes it a little simpler. The bike damage is pretty minimal actually but my concern is what they are going to do ( or not do ) about the custom paint.

Anybody have any experience in this?
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: Got Hit Yesterday

Post by Iron Maiden »

That sucks!!!! But glad to hear you and the bike are OK!! Take care of that wound - it might look small but if you do not keep it clean it can "rot" from the inside :twisted:

As for insurance companies -Well........ They are all different and have different outcomes each time. Get everything in writing- good luck - keep us posted.

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hey Petitemoose,

Bad news re the shunt - glad your not too bad and the Hoss injuries are light too. It's pretty bad when they don't notice a Hoss.

Speedy recovery and the 'Maiden's spot on, get everything in writing, get the full name of your insurer clerk and keep on his/her tail.
Gordon from England
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Dennis,
really sorry you got hit but glad you only sustained minor injuries. I had asked my insurance company (Allstate) about covering custom paint due to an accident. I was told that it would cost extra coverage and I would need photos, a receipt, maybe (don't have) and maybe an appraisal. Fuckers will do everything possible to underestimate a claim. Maybe call Curtis and see if he can find out who the painter was?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Back a few years ago I T boned a mini van that pulled right out in front or me and I had no where to go but jam on both brakes and hope for the best . Turns out I got my speed down to about 15 mph and I stuck my front wheel right into her left front wheel well , flipped over the car and landed on my feet looking in her passenger window . On the way over my chest hit one of my mirrors and I broke a couple of ribs in that area . She got a ticket . Anyway my bike never went down , just twisted her front wheel around and the bike just stood there . At first it appeared that the only damage to my bike was the front fender was smashed and I was able to ride the bike away with what seemed like no ill effects . The Nationwide claims adjuster came to my house to look at the bike and I told him I would not settle anything until the front forks were removed and everything checked including the frame . I told him the nearest Boss Hoss dealer was 350 miles away (Mountain) but I could do the work myself and get prices for whatever parts needed and would charge $50.00 an hour labor . He instantly said if I would do that they would pay me $75.00 and hour . Turned out the fork tubes were slightly bent and no new parts were available for my 2000 . They agreed to buy me a new inverted front end along with a new front tire and fender and I charged them for 22 hours labor and they gave me $3500 for my pain and suffering .
Sorry this was so long but the point being they didn't want me to take it to a dealer because they know it would cost much more .
Wish it never happened but I made out OK .
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Thank you all for your well wishes :)

I talked with Mike Kelly earlier today and then talked with Geico. They agreed to have the adjuster see the bike at Mike Kelley's shop in Marco Island. I explained to them that this is not a Harley and that there are only 23 dealers world wide. I told them I would transport the bike down and back if they agreed to pay for my fuel. They did. I am now confident that the bike will be fixed correctly so that is off my mind.
They are sending someone to the house to take pictures of my injuries so they can make a "fair Offer" for my injuries. I will see what they are thinking. I will be seeing my attorney Sunday afternoon at the COC meeting anyway so I am sure we will talk and see if he needs to get involved.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Bummer Dennis lot of people not paying attention lately to dam busy with phones an shit had a few with cars this year an at Johnstown rally a friend rideing to close behind me lost control stopping in the rain an slid into my trike ,he was scraped up an his bike was rideable mine few cracks in body an paint messed up ,, just got a couple quotes to fix over 10,000 for repair waiting on insurance ,,his to get back to me.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

HOLY CRAP Dennis...sounds like it could have been way worse my friend...good luck with healing and getting the bike fixed...

If the paint can't be match then you get to pick your own new color for the bike???? Food for thought
Last edited by CanuckHoss on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Butkicker wrote:Bummer Dennis lot of people not paying attention lately to dam busy with phones an shit had a few with cars this year an at Johnstown rally a friend rideing to close behind me lost control stopping in the rain an slid into my trike ,he was scraped up an his bike was rideable mine few cracks in body an paint messed up ,, just got a couple quotes to fix over 10,000 for repair waiting on insurance ,,his to get back to me.

Bummer Brian , wow , $10,000.00
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Bummer yes !, problem with new color choice Dennis if you like what you have hope they take care of it I hope they fix mine as well I like mine a lot reason I bought bike

Jack wow is right never thought about cost to fix that paint
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

CanuckHoss wrote:HOLY CRAP Dennis...sounds like it could have been way worse my friend...good luck with healing and getting the bike fixed...

If the paint can't be match then you get to pick your own new color for the bike???? Food for thought
Since that green is metallic and the colors were custom, Matching will not be an option. Mike already told me when I drop the bike off to share my vision of what the new paint job should look like. The only body parts not affected by the impact are the tank and right side cover. Everything else is scratched or cracked. The tour pack was not on the bike but it will need to be painted to match as well. I do not see that being a big battle thanks to the last decade of HD detachable items.

Feeling much better this morning but that is probably because I woke up at 6 and took another pain pill :) Yesterday was pretty long and painful so I decided to give into the meds today and completely relax ...

Brian, You may need to get an attorney involved if it goes on much longer. Sometimes just asking the insurance company " Do I need to get my Attorney involved" is enough to get them to move. They know they are liable and the attorney is just going to make it more expensive for them.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

When I had my T bone I talked to a Lawyer about my broken ribs and he said I wasn't hurt bad enough to require his services , just take what they offer within reason .
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

hogv8 wrote:When I had my T bone I talked to a Lawyer about my broken ribs and he said I wasn't hurt bad enough to require his services , just take what they offer within reason .
I am not looking to get rich. I just want ALL my medical expenses paid and my bike fixed right ... They are going to make me an offer for pain and suffering and unless its stupid low I will accept it and move on :)
Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Agreed I plan on calling Monday if no answer ,,looking at bike does not look bad just a few digs but painters are nervous about time an effort thing is I do not want diff paint this is cool now might hate new paint
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Glad you're ok.
State Farm has all of my receipts on file for all of the custom work on Berzerker and my policy will cover replacement.
A young girl was texting, crossed the center-line and killed a biker from my town; said she was sorry.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

"said she was sorry."

that makes everything all OK,... bitch!!

Buck
roscobbc

Post by roscobbc »

Over here in the UK it was in the news today that police are to confiscate mobile phones and check whether the driver was using the phone immediately before the accident. Previously this was only done where there was a serious injury of fatality. This is what happened to my 3 month old 'daily driver' two years ago. Young asshole driving a Ford Fiesta, no seat belts was texting whilst driving and not looking. Just drove straight in to the front my parked car. £12000 for repair, £10000 for car hire for 12 weeks.
Irony was that the kid was 18 years old (as we all were once) and driving the car on his fathers company insurance - except that the minimum age was 21 years - - so uninsured effectively
You really need to check out ALL other parts of the bike - impacts like that can effect areas you would never think of looking (like transmission).
Last edited by roscobbc on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Moose, glad to hear you're alright, the bike will probably even be nicer when its done. Shit happens but as long as you aren't seriously hurt it will just become a bad memory.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Glad to see the outcome was not as bad as it could have been ... I HATE CELL PHONES ... I think cell phones should be equiped with software that shuts them down when moving over certain speed to make sure nobody can use them while driving!! I saw an asshat on a motorcycle (riding/moving) that was texting, phone was attached to handlebars and he's poking away ...

Heal well ...
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I agree Vman , seems like a simple solution to a big big problem .
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

[quote="V-MAN"] I saw an asshat on a motorcycle (riding/moving) that was texting, phone was attached to handlebars and he's poking away ...
[ quote]

You sure that wasn't me??? I am just as guilty as the girl that hit me of using my phone while driving, although I hold my phone up in my line of sight instead of down low and I use the "talk to text" feature so I am not spelling words. Either way, its still distracted driving and is dangerous with a touch of stupid.

Dropped the bike off today and am guessing it will be the first week of October before I see it again. Paint shop is 3 weeks and it will probably take them 3 weeks to get to it plus it needs to be disassembled, yada, yada, yada ... HOPE to have it for Biketoberfest

Got home from my 7 hour drive to open the Hospital bill for my 3.5 Hour Visit last Wednesday ... $25,831.00 That does not include the Ambulance ride which will be close to another grand. Amazing!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dennis,

I am sure you can live without THAT experience. Glad that your accident wasn't that severe at the end.

Best regards and speedy recovery.

Mark

PS Wow, 25k for a 3.5 h treatment!! I hope you don't have to advance the amount.
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Wow man, 25k for an afternoon! that's just not an economic justification. Your medical system is severly unrealistic.

*It means insurance is a life saver.
Gordon from England
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

petitemoose wrote:
V-MAN wrote: I saw an asshat on a motorcycle (riding/moving) that was texting, phone was attached to handlebars and he's poking away ...
[ quote]

You sure that wasn't me??? I am just as guilty as the girl that hit me of using my phone while driving, although I hold my phone up in my line of sight instead of down low and I use the "talk to text" feature so I am not spelling words. Either way, its still distracted driving and is dangerous with a touch of stupid.

Dropped the bike off today and am guessing it will be the first week of October before I see it again. Paint shop is 3 weeks and it will probably take them 3 weeks to get to it plus it needs to be disassembled, yada, yada, yada ... HOPE to have it for Biketoberfest

Got home from my 7 hour drive to open the Hospital bill for my 3.5 Hour Visit last Wednesday ... $25,831.00 That does not include the Ambulance ride which will be close to another grand. Amazing!!
Well Moose If you also text and drive ..It looks like you got a taste of your own medicine..Glad your Ok but what goes around comes around...If your driving ..Please put the fucking phone away...
phpBB [video]
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

The good news is that since she didn't get a ticket, I get to pay for the Medical bills. I am to file it with my health Insurance company and whatever they do not cover, I MAY get returned to me in a "settlement" from Geico. If I didn't have medical Insurance, It would all be on me... Not sure I understand how exactly that works ... I do not recall advertising a request to get hit!

The appraiser is meeting with Mike tomorrow morning so i should know if i need to just hand this over to an Attorney by noon.

The weird thing is, When I signed up for the Insurance, I specified 50 / 100 with comp collision Liability and PIP. According to the main adjuster, I have 20/40 with comp and collision and Liability only. I do not know how/ when the other dropped off. Another question I will have to ask after I dig out my original policy from 2 years ago ...