FAST STOCK TRIKE

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
SQ4MN

FAST STOCK TRIKE

Post by SQ4MN »

I came back to Oklahoma to visit with Stan for a week and noticed a picture in the shop that was recently taken. It shows a stock green V8 Chopper trike as delivered with street tires, no nitrous, stock 427 engine, that just turned an 9.89 at 142 in the quarter mile. The dragstrip time ticket was also in the framed picture. A nine second bone stock street trike is quite remarkable.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Re: FAST STOCK TRIKE

Post by V8 Perv »

SQ4MN wrote:I came back to Oklahoma to visit with Stan for a week and noticed a picture in the shop that was recently taken. It shows a stock green V8 Chopper trike as delivered with street tires, no nitrous, stock 427 engine, that just turned an 9.89 at 142 in the quarter mile. The dragstrip time ticket was also in the framed picture. A nine second bone stock street trike is quite remarkable.
I totally agree a STOCK trike running a 9 second qtr
is rearkable.

I really like how he attached the timeslip for the pass
with the photo. Anyone can make claims of how badass
their bike/trike is but the track don't lie.

....Johnston, Iowa
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Perv, There was a question on the other site about this that I couldn't answer that I figured you could. Someone wanted to know how fast a big block trike would go.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

That's impressive but to be fair,there's nothing "stock" about a 427" small block. :lol:
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Clint44 wrote:That's impressive but to be fair,there's nothing "stock" about a 427" small block. :lol:
Not sure I understand your comment.

Boss Hoss sold ZZ4's and 502's for years

V8 Chopper sell 400's and 427's

So is there no such thing as a stock ZZ4 or 502?

For me to call either of my Chopper trikes stock
would be a false statement but this dude had a
"stock" 427 right off the showroom floor.

....Johnston, Iowa
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

It's a stock V8 Chopper.
True about the ZZ4 and the 502. I'm not 100 percent certain about the 350, but the 502 was always a crate engine. It never came stock in a Chevy, but it was stock for a BH.
Bottom line is, if it rolled out of Miami or Dyersburg with a particular engine, it is stock
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

V8 Perv wrote:
Clint44 wrote:That's impressive but to be fair,there's nothing "stock" about a 427" small block. :lol:
Not sure I understand your comment.

Boss Hoss sold ZZ4's and 502's for years

V8 Chopper sell 400's and 427's

So is there no such thing as a stock ZZ4 or 502?

For me to call either of my Chopper trikes stock
would be a false statement but this dude had a
"stock" 427 right off the showroom floor.
So,if Stan was to offer a blown 426 hemi engine as an option,you would consider that "stock"?

Ron,you haven't touched either of your trike's engines so why would you not consider your trikes "stock"?

Vanquish offers a 1,000hp 632" Brodix or Donovan big block as an optional engine. Anyone consider that "stock"?

:hmmmm: Guess we will just have to disagree about what constitutes a "stock" engine. Where do you guys draw the line? :lol:
Clint & Sherry
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Clint I fail to see your point.

Stan offers two engines and they are a 400
and 427. Thats his standard product line.

The reason I don't consider either of my trikes
stock as Stan added NOS after I bugged him
long enough that he finally caved in. Then
only an idiot would consider a one of a kind
Blower trike stock. I have no idea what Mike
Kelly offers as a stock motor so cant comment
on that.

Now the important part what if Pete Elliis or
someone else took a Boss Hoss Trike with a
LS3 Engine to the track and ran that time would
that be a stock trike?

....Johnston, Iowa
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

V8 Perv wrote:Clint I fail to see your point.

Stan offers two engines and they are a 400
and 427. Thats his standard product line.

The reason I don't consider either of my trikes
stock as Stan added NOS after I bugged him
long enough that he finally caved in. Then
only an idiot would consider a one of a kind
Blower trike stock. I have no idea what Mike
Kelly offers as a stock motor so cant comment
on that.

Now the important part what if Pete Elliis or
someone else took a Boss Hoss Trike with a
LS3 Engine to the track and ran that time would
that be a stock trike?
Again,it boils down to one's definition of "stock".Ron. Both the 400 sbc and 427 sbc are highly modified engines with almost no oem parts. I never said a ZZ4 or ZZ502 were stock,either.

However,an LS3 engine with standard cam is basically the same engine that is offered in the new Camaros and 2008-13 Corvettes. The 4.8 liter LS-300 with standard cam (Boss Hoss base engine) has been offered in thousands of GM light trucks.

Not trying to downplay what that V8 Chopper trike did,at all. That's incredible performance any way one looks at it. But,calling a highly modified 427ci sbc that probably makes around 600hp "stock"? Sorry,some of us might not agree with that premise.
Nothing to get our panties in a wad,though.
Clint & Sherry
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Agreed no need to get in a pissing match.

My only complaint with V8 Choppers is they
havent offered a 1200hp trike yet.

....Johnston, Iowa
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

We are not talking engines, we are talking complete vehicles. A 427 V8 Chopper is a stock, EPA/DOT 49 state compliant vehicle. It is stock as it rolls out the back door of Stan's facility. Anyone with the finances can buy one.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Guess I don't understand the point of this conversation.

The ZZ4- is made in Mexico from old 5.7 tooling from Detroit.
The 502 as Carl said was never made for a GM car or truck. Rumor has Mercury Marine cast the block for their outdrive boats. Beside the block this engine is
filled with aftermarket parts......not many GM parts.

Regarding the offers from V8 Choppers......Stan has chosen Dart to be the builder, for both the 400 and the 427. Both use the SHP blocks which are a upgrade from
GM blocks......The 400 GM engine was never known to hold up under performance applications. If one wants to
go to race blocks, then the Dart Little-M comes into play,
but the SHP blocks have been proven to 1000 hp.

Believe me GM would not pay the price of a Dart block, to have the quality in a stock chevy car. It is not needed for a every day driver.

A few years ago I was invited by Dave Ward to spend a
day at Dart not only watching them dyno his alum -421
but got a full tour of the facility. Needless to say, very
impressive.

Monte and BH chose the GM route for EPA reasons of late. V8 Choppers has spent a ton of monies to achieve
the latest EPA standards. Everybody is trying to keep the customers and the EPA happy.

The 427 from Dart is a mild build to achieve 600hp and
not give any problems for the V8-Chopper owner.

Most 427's built to the limit achieve close to 700-750hp
at very high rpm.....say 7500 in a NA form. Not street friendly, and require some high dollar parts to achieve
the HP in a 23 degree headed small block.

Different strokes for different companies........

It's all good !!

Geezer

PS- Regarding times at the strip.....It takes more than
HP. Check out trannys, converters, rear ends and suspensions that differ from both companys. You might be surprised at the difference, that effect performance and reliability. Nuff said.
Last edited by Geezer on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Clint44 wrote:So,if Stan was to offer a blown 426 hemi engine as an option,you would consider that "stock"?

Ron,you haven't touched either of your trike's engines so why would you not consider your trikes "stock"?

Vanquish offers a 1,000hp 632" Brodix or Donovan big block as an optional engine. Anyone consider that "stock"?
Would a blown 426 Hemi option be stock; if it was something that they offered as an option, then YES, It would be stock for V8 Choppers, same as the ZZ502 was a stock option for Boss Hoss. A blown 426 is not a stock GM Performance engine.
Vanquish offers a 1000HP engine option; you guessed it, it's stock. It's not a GM Performance stock engine that can be purchased, but plenty of companies build them where Mike Kelly is able to purchase them and offer them in a bike block frame as a stock option.
Now if a customer approached Mike Kelly and requested a twin turbo 632 making 2500HP that is currently NOT an option and he agrees then builds it, that is not a stock engine but instead a special order.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Whatever,guys. :rofl: Have a great day.
Clint & Sherry
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Instead of using the word "stock" perhaps a better word would be "production". This infers that it is not a special order or one off engine, rather one of a few available engine options offered for the bikes they produce. No engine in a V8 bike is Stock in the truest sense of the word.

Anything that can be "mass produced" and turn those times is truly impressive.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

petitemoose wrote:Instead of using the word "stock" perhaps a better word would be "production". This infers that it is not a special order or one off engine, rather one of a few available engine options offered for the bikes they produce. No engine in a V8 bike is Stock in the truest sense of the word.

Anything that can be "mass produced" and turn those times is truly impressive.
:what_he_said: :iagree:
phpBB [video]
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

I couldn't agree with Clint more. He is absolutely right. A 427 small block by no stretch of the imagination is stock. A stock 427 is always a big block! You guys are arguing about apples and oranges!
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Ok time to say whats really on my mind.

This thread started out with Dave just trying to sling a little praise at a great time done by a V8 Chopper trike.

Then all the petty bullshit about term stock. I can't remember the last time guys on this site lowered themselves into this sort of meaningless banter.

If someone is so fucking sensitive that a Chopper with a 427 amounts to a high performance vehicle maybe they need to step up to the plate and buy one.

I hope some proud Boss Hoss and Vanquish guys find some great times and post them here. But for this fucking bullshit about the word stock you gotta be kidding me!

....Johnston, Iowa
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I checked the dictionary and googled stock. Neither source had anything to do with trikes or engines. However it is a common term that we all use for those often and everyone understands the point that was being made. I googled stock engine and found this. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 640AA3kBsm

Shane
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I thought we all behaved rather well, actually. We each have our opinions, and though mine are correct :D , we are all entitled to them.
At least it didn't degenerate into a name calling fest and required Adrian to choose who's side he's on and delete the rest.
hellboy

Post by hellboy »

I find this thread highly defamatory, propagandaously outrageous un-American, and most of all defensive. FYI, the definition and perfect example of a stock block is a 800hp 605 Brodix (mild cam), a non-stock block is more like a 1200HP 632 Donovan with a HOT cam....Mod pls delete this post.

:smileabouttobebanned:
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Hellboy, If you think I'm about to get banned I think
you are sadly mistaken. Thats the beauty of this site the moderators aren't trying to play god.

I simply think it's bullshit to want to piss and moan
about Daves choice of words. I'm a big boy if 30 guys want to come on here and blast me so be it.

....Johnston, Iowa
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

hellboy wrote: FYI, the definition and perfect example of a stock block is a 800hp 605 Brodix (mild cam), a non-stock block is more like a 1200HP 632 Donovan with a HOT cam....

:smileabouttobebanned:
ROFL Hellboy ... in a perfect world you are 100% correct! Wish MY bike had your "Stock" motor ;)

I didn't see any hair pulling or name calling ... I thought it was just some good old fashioned playful bantering going on.

Perv, re-read Hellboys post and you will see the humor ;)

I would like to see the run if possible and hopefully it has sound cuz I bet it was great fun to watch!

When I grow up ... I'm gonna have Grand Canard build my motor!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Perv is correct, I was just commenting on what I perceived to be a stock V8 Chopper trikes remarkable performance. V8 Chopper sells 3 models of crate engines built by Dart installed in their bikes or trikes. They are a 350, a 400 and a 427. I called it a stock trike because it had one of those engines in it with nothing extra or special done to it, it was the way all of the engines are built and installed. If it had nitrous or a blower or different heads or an aluminum block I wouldn't have called it stock. It has the same specs as many of the latest trikes have, nothing different. I've always thought Boss Hoss 502 bikes and trikes were stock if they were left alone after they were delivered from the factory. I assumed that V8 Chopper bikes and trikes were also stock if they came with whichever of the three crate engines that they offer without any further modifications. The wording isn't important, the message is.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Oh hell,Ron! We're all just having a good time,hanging out here,and having fun talking trash. Damn,go squeeze a nice tit or something.
Oh,wait,, :lol:
Clint & Sherry