Monte

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Ron Radulski

Re: Monte

Post by Ron Radulski »

wag wrote:Nesco
If you belong to Boss Hoss Riders Association (BHRA) look at the latest (Fall 2016) issue. Winters is the latest transmission BH was putting in their bikes, due to no longer availability of the Nesco. Dennis & Barry are up with that. NESCO, REALLY? WTF???
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

SQ4MN wrote:Turn the bars full lock towards the side opposite the kickstand before you try to raise it up and it will raise up easier.
That trick NORMALLY works ... Not on this beast. SS Bike with Drag bars that greatly reduce the leverage. Add the fact that the bike leans over way too far on the side stand. Once you got it up though ... WOWSERS what a ride!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Jack

Post by Jack »

How petite are you moose?
Put your ass into it!
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

At the shows guys would always ask what would happen if it ever fell over. Stan is a short guy so he would tip a V8 Chopper all the way over and then lift it right up using the wheel to the opposite direction method. I told them I was 72 years old and that if I could do it anyone ought to be able to. We had a lot of fun at the shows.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Jack wrote:How petite are you moose?
Put your ass into it!
I am just a wee lad. 6'2" tall weighing in at 235 lbs. LoL The first time I went to pick the bike up off the stand, A few guys looked and laughed. I joined them. Then I had them try and they stopped laughing. It is nothing that can't be fixed by installing the side stand spacers to get it leaning a little less dramatically. OR leave it as it is as added security ;) Still a SWEET SWEET Ride!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Triker wrote:
If you belong to Boss Hoss Riders Association (BHRA) look at the latest (Fall 2016) issue. Winters is the latest transmission BH was putting in their bikes, due to no longer availability of the Nesco. Dennis & Barry are up with that. NESCO, REALLY? WTF???
Triker, Back on March 13,2016, Dennis posted about his visit with Ricky : That TCI Automotive WAS making the Nesco version transmission now ! I wonder if this still stands true ? Craig H.
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

craig haymaker wrote:
Triker wrote:
Triker, Back on March 13,2016, Dennis posted about his visit with Ricky : That TCI Automotive WAS making the Nesco version transmission now ! I wonder if this still stands true ? Craig H.
I really don't know about that. Triker
misfit

Post by misfit »

Man it's always been about the trans! How many remember the VRC trans? I think that's what it was called? I know you do Barry. Too bad...It was a great trans from what I heard years ago... I even talked with Vic himself and heard his side of the story. 2 alpha males that could not make it happen... Too bad for all of us V8 bike lovers.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

There are those that would argue the "great transmission" comment, regarding the VR2 trans.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Has anybody heard of any Nesco transmission failures in the last six months, we used to hear of them every week.
I used to think my bike was one ride away from disaster but now 30000 miles later it seems it might last a long time. However I bought all the parts to rebuild it when they were still available. I never have even opened the box. Does anyone know if parts are available. Ricky probably knows the real answer to that question.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

misfit wrote:Man it's always been about the trans! How many remember the VRC trans? I think that's what it was called? I know you do Barry. Too bad...It was a great trans from what I heard years ago... I even talked with Vic himself and heard his side of the story. 2 alpha males that could not make it happen... Too bad for all of us V8 bike lovers.
I have personally heard both sides from both parties...face to face... I know that there are two sides and only one side is true...after my 2 year business relationship experience with the VR2 builder....I believe Monte's side...

I owned 3 of the Big Brute motorcycles with the VR2 transmission that was designed specifically for Boss Hoss Cycles. I had no issues with them but I did not get comfortable in the 2 short years riding them to really test.

I know the VR2 was a true 2 speed..with a solenoid shift from 1st to 2nd and a reverse gear that you could back up a ramp into a truck..it was a true reverse.

In my honest humble opinion with inside info at the VR2 factory the biggest issue with them was not design but rather quality control and having a consistent competent team stay in place to build the VR2.

it is all old news anyways.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Iast bike week Tom from Mountian BH was showing me the Winters Trans he had with him in his trailer and I asked him then if my trans were to go today could he rebuild it with all new parts and he said yes .
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:Iast bike week Tom from Mountian BH was showing me the Winters Trans he had with him in his trailer and I asked him then if my trans were to go today could he rebuild it with all new parts and he said yes .
At that point in time Jack..he was right...a couple months later if asked his answer would be different...
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

BARRY WHY IS THAT?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:BARRY WHY IS THAT?
Ran out of parts before or around mid year to rebuild.
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

THANKS BARRY for the info. Do you have any info on where to get any more parts or any rumors of anyone thinking of making them? I can't imagine that if an owner of a Boss Hoss bike breaks his Nesco he will be SOL. What would he do? My question about has anyone heard of a NESCO breaking in the last six months has gone unanswered, this is good as 8 years ago if I asked that question there would be at least ten replies.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Hoss97

Post by Hoss97 »

Been really busy with work the last month and a half, come back to this news... hopefully everything works out.

Steve
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:THANKS BARRY for the info. Do you have any info on where to get any more parts or any rumors of anyone thinking of making them? I can't imagine that if an owner of a Boss Hoss bike breaks his Nesco he will be SOL. What would he do? My question about has anyone heard of a NESCO breaking in the last six months has gone unanswered, this is good as 8 years ago if I asked that question there would be at least ten replies.
We did one in January 2016 from a 502 ...sent to Mountain to repair. Parts NOT an issue then.

It should NOT have broke. We sent it January 2015 to Mountain for full rebuild. The owner knows how to drive to keep it intact but he drove it like you would drive a bullet proof tranny and blew it up again. We fixed it in January 2016 and and he put the bike on the floor for sale...said if he cant ride the total balls off it he did not want it. It was traded in October for a newer Indian and I have not heard from the new owner.

In June or July this year I was going to send a tranny from a BB to Tom...not blown but he wanted all the upgrades done that Mountain does and Tom could not guarantee that parts were there for rebuild so it did not go.

I heard at that time Boss Hoss Concepts were getting all the parts to build new trannys..how many?? I am not sure..was that true?? not sure either. As for right now I am not sure where parts stand.
CanuckHoss

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

I seem to remember that the BH factory bought all the
pieces needed to build the Nesco from Nesco and had it sent to Tim at Boss Hoss Concepts for them to do the
complete build of the Nesco, from scratch???

Paul H
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Paul H wrote:I seem to remember that the BH factory bought all the
pieces needed to build the Nesco from Nesco and had it sent to Tim at Boss Hoss Concepts for them to do the

Paul H
Thank you for that info Paul - and Happy New Year!

An interesting thread, thank you all.

I remember back at the dawn of time, i.e. 11 years ago, thinking hard before buying the 502 [on eBay natch as you do] because of the number of transmission failures that were reported on the forum at that time.

Like others, I have noticed that there are almost no reports of failures in recent years since the latest upgrade.

For what it's worth, I ride fairly hard in first gear, although fewer miles in total that I used to; both 502s and the 2-speed 350* have the latest upgrade before NESCO turned off the parts tap; and while I occasionally forget and start off in overdrive, I think I neither baby the transmission nor overdo it. So I'm hopeful that the transmissions will last a long time, at least until if and when I need a rebuild, the parts can be 3-D printed if they are longer available.

* I also have a ’98 single speed auto and I don't baby that whatsoever. I ride it quite hard, and so far it doesn’t mind. Gets quickly hot at highway speeds, but I tend to use it locally rather than for touring. That said, I believe one of our members rode many tens of thousands of touring miles on a single speed back in the day.

If and when someone comes up with a bulletproof transmission [as bulletproof as reality allows] I'll probably buy one and put it into the 502, and sell the 350. (I only bought the 350 in case the 502 got sidelined, mostly because of those transmission worries a few years back).
My 100-proof woman
A bottle of 95-proof whiskey
A tank of 90-proof gas
And 502ci of V8 bike
:ridding:
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Oldun wrote:
Paul H wrote:I seem to remember that the BH factory bought all the

Paul H
Thank you for that info Paul - and Happy New Year!

An interesting thread, thank you all.

If and when someone comes up with a bulletproof transmission [as bulletproof as reality allows] I'll probably buy one and put it into the 502, and sell the 350. (I only bought the 350 in case the 502 got sidelined, mostly because of those transmission worries a few years back).
That transmission is already here...It is the Winters that is an option for the Boss Hoss and as far as I know available for sale to the general public...again...I could be wrong about the sale to general public part
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Barry, since you know whoever may be selling the WINTERS TRANSMISSION how about calling them and seeing if the public can buy them and for how much. It would be great info for everyone that owns a BOSS HOSS BIKE.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:Barry, since you know whoever may be selling the WINTERS TRANSMISSION how about calling them and seeing if the public can buy them and for how much. It would be great info for everyone that owns a BOSS HOSS BIKE.
Dave...

I am just assuming that Mountain Boss Hoss would be selling them as they were made to retrofit any Boss Hoss...would not make sense to me that they just are available for new Boss Hoss bikes..but then again anything is possible in this world of V8's...lol

I could find out from Tom for sure though.
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Many on here would appreciate whatever you can find out Barry.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:Many on here would appreciate whatever you can find out Barry.
Indeed Dave......

Tom is supposed to call me in the next couple days with availabilty of take off valve covers...fingers crossed as they are not an easy item to find anywhere to fit...I already have a new non Boss Hoss set arrive that don't fit..I will ask him then about the Winters tranny
CanuckHoss