Monte

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
hogv8

Re: Monte

Post by hogv8 »

CanuckHoss wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:Many on here would appreciate whatever you can find out Barry.
Indeed Dave......

Tom is supposed to call me in the next couple days with availabilty of take off valve covers...fingers crossed as they are not an easy item to find anywhere to fit...I already have a new non Boss Hoss set arrive that don't fit..I will ask him then about the Winters tranny
Please ask him about future availability of Nesco parts for rebuild also .

Thanks , Jack
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I WAS TOLD TODAY THAT TIM AT BOSS HOSSS CONCEPTS IS SELLING PARTS AND DOING OVERHAULS WITH OR WITHOUT UPGRADES. I ORDERED A CLUTCH PACK AND THEY HAD THE STOCK ONES OR UPGRADED ONES.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

The Winters transmission is NOT available to the public for sale yet as a replacement.....maybe soon.

Also...there still continues to be a shortage of parts for rebuilds for the Nesco...

That is it for now....
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

The news I got was that Tim was rebuilding Nesco transmissions with the latest upgrades. I did not talk to him myself but a friend of mine that knows him did and my friend ordered the clutch plates from him for me. Someone that knows Tim could call him and ask about exactly what the situation and prices are.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

If Tim is getting all parts needed then he is the only one with access to them...I know parts have been short and hard to get for a year and half...
CanuckHoss

johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

Tim re-did my transmission last winter and the only part that was on back order was the main shaft, and case. At that time Monty still owned Boss Hoss and tim was going to be building transmissions for them. Everything else was readily available. Great guy to deal with and every transmission gets Dynoed before it leaves his shop.
John
Drm1

Post by Drm1 »

After reading all this I have to be honest that I was wondering what my next move should be. Sell the Boss and go back to a HD. One of the reasons I was not so concerned owning the Boss was because Tim Dalbec (Boss Hoss Concepts) is just ½ hour from me as well as Marv. Parts or major repairs are in my backyard with two great resources….One advantage of living here in the Minnesota frozen tundra.

I called Tim today and he tells me he’s still building transmissions and has plenty of parts. Sigh of relief!! That will keep me in the game as long as he can still service my tranny which BTW has been solid. …and we all know the mountain of parts Marv has.

As far as what’s happening at the factory, I’m sad to see it although not all that surprised. The price tag moved into zone where I believe the market would not bear it (Booted me out). Think of new motorcycle pricing or affordability and a bell curve chart. In the middle would be “average affordability” which could be anything from a Honda to a lower end HD. In this range you have the most buyers. As you move further to the right on the scale, you then get into “above average pricing” equals less buyers, then “significantly above average pricing,” dramatically less buyers and lastly “extremely above average” with hardly any buyers. At this point hopefully the margins are enough to keep you out of the red.

Sure there are plenty of motorsport vehicles that can fall into the “significantly above average” range and have a viable and healthy balance sheet. They have it figured out for a plethora of reasons. Although what works for one may not for another.

I applaud the risk the new owners took to make a go of it. I was excited to see what would become of Boss Hoss. I’m sure many of you feel the same way. Now we have to wait to see what the next chapter is.

Lastly and for what’s it’s worth... If someone does step up and gives it another try, don’t reinvent the wheel. The HD model is brilliant. Sell stripped down bikes, make a shitload of $$ on aftermarket parts and merchandise the brand on anything you can print or embroidery on.

IT’ SO FCKN COOL TO OWN AND RIDE A BOSS HOSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

It is great to hear Boss Hoss Concepts is still has parts and is building transmissions. I was afraid they had faded away.
Regards,

Mark

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I hope that the factory does not completely go out of business or completely quit making two wheelers but
it might. If that becomes the case someone will supply the parts for Nesco transmissions for many many years. There
are enough bikes in the US and Germany to guarantee that there is a niche market that can support that as a sideline business for someone. The bikes can and will be kept running and they will always have a certain following. The motors, forks, wheels, tires, lights, water pumps, brakes, alternators are easy to get. The computer bikes will have a tougher time if the computers fail but they can be returned to carb based bikes or maybe modernized. In the future the bikes could actually become worth a lot more. The government could be a factor in the demise of the bikes also. The ones that are left might be the last ones standing.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Actually there are very few actual Boss Hoss parts left on my bike but the trans is the biggie . Everything else has been changed in one way or another mostly out of necessity or function . The only thing I ever see I may need to keep me on the road is the trans . Everything else I can fix , make buy elsewhere .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Jack, If you don't crash these bikes the trans is the only thing that could possibly stop them and I doubt that will ever be the case. My advice to you is to buy the parts to rebuild yours now while you can and rest easily that you will be covered. If you never use them they will always be worth what you paid to someone down the road.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

SQ4MN wrote:Jack, If you don't crash these bikes the trans is the only thing that could possibly stop them and I doubt that will ever be the case. My advice to you is to buy the parts to rebuild yours now while you can and rest easily that you will be covered. If you never use them they will always be worth what you paid to someone down the road.
I know your right man but I hate to spend money on something I m

ay never need , I hope .

As far as working on the trans myself I guess it's the fear of the unknown . I' ve built several Harley engines and rebuilt a couple Harley transmissions over the years so I probably could tear the Boss Hoss trans apart if I had to as long as I could get the parts . Time will tell .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Jack I know how you feel about spending the money. I did it and didn't like it but all the talk about the what if this and what if that doesn't really bother me. I can keep this bike as long as I want and it will never be sitting because of unavailability of parts. In actuality I don't think there will come a time when there are no trans parts to be had.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Geez been off the Board for awhile - I heard this from someone today and got up here to read about it. Bummer for Ricky and his crew - for whatever reason it didn't work out, it is always hard for a dream not to go on.

Obviously Ricky and crew came up with some awesome improvements and upgrades for the Boss - albeit at a significant price increase as well.

When I bought mine in '02 it was a whim - could afoord it at the time and it was an itch that needed to be scratched - I enjoyed every ride for 11 years. BUT for many reasons it was time to move on for me - I had NO major problems in 50,000+ miles - and as far as I know it is still chugging along with the new owner.

We started out in St Cloud with two of us, we had a good dealer 60 miles away and we both knew enough mechanically that we could maintain them - eventually that group continued to grow, 3, 4, 5, 6 and more.....together we could figure out almost everything that popped up....except tranny issues - but we were damned good at getting them out of the bikes and shipped off.

IMHO the V8 market has priced themselves out of reality - to buy a new one you have to be one of the
"I can afford it so I'll have one" people. I doubt the market will ever return to the 300+ units per year that Monte enjoyed for a couple of years.

Maybe Stan has the right business plan, sell direct out of the factory, eliminate the middle man mark-up. Unfortunately, most people who are going to spend that kind of money want to be able to get dealer support when shit hits the fan.

My only concern in the years I rode mine was that if on a long trip and a catastrophic failure happened, there was no nearby help - so I chose to trailer to most long destinations, Miami, La Crosse, TanTara, etc so at least I could trailer it home.

Will be interesting to see if Monte can or will keep it going.

Maybe someone with good resources should consider producing transmission parts for the Nesco box - there was a lot of talk years back about obtaining a complete box and having it duplicated - there has to be a machinist somewhere with the ability and capability to reproduce every part in the case.....if that were the case the current owners could t least sleep at night.
Jack

Post by Jack »

So is the NESCO scare just that? Sounds like Tim has everything anyone would need?

I second a previous poster's sentiments, there hasn't been anyone coming out of the weeds posting about needing tranny parts or having any tranny problems... I wonder if those people just gave up under the assumption that there was no hope - or the trannys are holding together and aren't as problematic as they used to be.

The Winters transmission sounded like a huge step in the right direction, with or without NESCO... so hopefully they can become more attainable.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

There seem to be a lot of European Boss Hoss bikes and I'm sure there have been transmission problems . Who repairs their transmissions and where do the get their parts ?
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

hogv8 wrote:There seem to be a lot of European Boss Hoss bikes and I'm sure there have been transmission problems . Who repairs their transmissions and where do the get their parts ?
Their trannys break frequently. Andy Mueller of BH Germany fixes them. he bought a LOT of parts a while ago but is low ( if not out ) of shafts
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:
hogv8 wrote:There seem to be a lot of European Boss Hoss bikes and I'm sure there have been transmission problems . Who repairs their transmissions and where do the get their parts ?
Their trannys break frequently. Andy Mueller of BH Germany fixes them. he bought a LOT of parts a while ago but is low ( if not out ) of shafts
Same with the biggest dealer in the USA. He bought a bunch of parts a few years ago but has been short parts for almost 2 years...not sure what is going on.

Maybe Boss Hoss Concepts gets ALL the new parts due to new builds???...I don't know and I should but that is the way it is...
CanuckHoss

502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Why is everybody just guessing?? This is going on for weeks now ! Just call somebody who should know: Monte, Tom, Tim even Ricky and post it.

My humble opinion: If a business man has some great news or a product to sell he would shout it out to the community. Everybody (including me) has seen the Winters transmission in Toms trailer but, pssst, it is still a big secret. If somebody would produce Nesco parts he would post it.

But there is nothing; zero; nada... no smoke, no fire....
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hey! If we did that this thread would have been 5 pages shorter! Who wants that?
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

502wingman wrote:Why is everybody just guessing?? This is going on for weeks now ! Just call somebody who should know: Monte, Tom, Tim even Ricky and post it.

My humble opinion: If a business man has some great news or a product to sell he would shout it out to the community. Everybody (including me) has seen the Winters transmission in Toms trailer but, pssst, it is still a big secret. If somebody would produce Nesco parts he would post it.

During my 17 years of owning a BH and reading the forums with the exception of Ricky I have never seen Monte , Tom , Marv or any other dealer post anything on these forums and it's sad because they could easily answer any of our questions .
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:
502wingman wrote:Why is everybody just guessing?? This is going on for weeks now ! Just call somebody who should know: Monte, Tom, Tim even Ricky and post it.

During my 17 years of owning a BH and reading the forums with the exception of Ricky I have never seen Monte , Tom , Marv or any other dealer post anything on these forums and it's sad because they could easily answer any of our questions .
I posted the answers I got from Tom regarding Nesco parts and the Winters tranny...and I believe him...I have dealt with him for 4 years fixing trannys...I guess others don't believe him or me or what I have said.....so be it...I won't loose any sleep...
CanuckHoss

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

CanuckHoss wrote:
hogv8 wrote:

My humble opinion: If a business man has some great news or a product to sell he would shout it out to the community. Everybody (including me) has seen the Winters transmission in Toms trailer but, pssst, it is still a big secret. If somebody would produce Nesco paarts he would post it.

I posted the answers I got from Tom regarding Nesco parts and the Winters tranny...and I believe him...I have dealt with him for 4 years fixing trannys...I guess others don't believe him or me or what I have said.....so be it...I won't loose any sleep...
Oh I believe you Barry . What I'm saying is the factory or the dealers never say shit oN the forums and I don't know why . Your a big help but your not officially a BH dealer and I don't think the factory keeps you up to speed on what's going on .
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:
hogv8 wrote:

My humble opinion: If a business man has some great news or a product to sell he would shout it out to the community. Everybody (including me) has seen the Winters transmission in Toms trailer but, pssst, it is still a big secret. If somebody would produce Nesco paarts he would post it.

Oh I believe you Barry . What I'm saying is the factory or the dealers never say shit oN the forums and I don't know why . Your a big help but your not officially a BH dealer and I don't think the factory keeps you up to speed on what's going on .
Correction Jack. Officially a dealer for 4 years
CanuckHoss

TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

HOGV8 wrote:What I'm saying is the factory or the dealers never say shit oN the forums and I don't know why.
I've worked for a Fortune 100 company for many years. From firsthand experience I can tell you that getting an approved press release on company letterhead is a Herculean task. Once it was drafted, it had to be reviewed by a legion of attorneys. We live in a litigious society. If you said "Good morning" and there's a chance three years from now some clown will file suit that he was injured because he relied on your statement, they won't approve it. Blogs and forums are in real time and don't lend themselves to corporate review. I'm a member on several HD forums and don't ever remember seeing an official Harley Davidson post on any of the forums.