Is Uship good, or are there better transport companies?

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
BultacoBill

Is Uship good, or are there better transport companies?

Post by BultacoBill »

I just bought a BH in Mississippi, and want it transported to Ct. Is Uship the best way to go? Thanks! Bill
3FOR2

Re: Is Uship good, or are there better transport companies?

Post by 3FOR2 »

If you go Uship, you might get a kid with a wagon, or maybe you'll get lucky and get a professional.

I use...
http://www.incognitoexpress.com/

Also recommended from others...
http://haulbikes.com/

And...
http://www.jpgexpress.net/Contact-Us.html
(Windsor Locks, CT!!)
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I have used 1-800-haul-bikes about 25 times to Canada..they are Daily Direct and I always talk to Andrea...she has been awesome.

Used them round trip in Feb 2014 for a trike to Daytona and back here...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Uship is NOT the best way to go. They are nothing more than computer based brokers interested in their fees only based on my experience. Contact Glenn @ 860 539-6633. He owns a transport company and also own a couple Boss' If he can't do it, he should be able to steer you in the right direction. In the transport business ... cheapest is NOT the best deal!!

my .02
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
BultacoBill

Post by BultacoBill »

Thanks for the leads! I'll start making phone calls now. Starting with the guy from Windsor Locks Ct.... He's 3 miles from my destination!
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Glenn IS the guy listed in Windsor Locks.
He is also a long distance rider with the
Iron Butt, doing all his records on a Boss Hoss.
I think he usally only runs the east coast.
He sure can help guide you to someone
else. He's a very nice guy.

Paul H
BultacoBill

Post by BultacoBill »

Thanks Paul,

I think I've see Glenn riding around Windsor Locks. Is he the guy with the nitrous bottle on his Hoss?
I did call them first, and left a message, but got no call back :( . Maybe he wasn't interested in Mississippi.
But my next call/email was to Incognito Express. They got back to me very quickly and professionally with a nice quote/price. I gave them the job!

Bill
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

BultacoBill wrote:Thanks Paul,

I think I've see Glenn riding around Windsor Locks. Is he the guy with the nitrous bottle on his Hoss?
I did call them first, and left a message, but got no call back :( . Maybe he wasn't interested in Mississippi.
But my next call/email was to Incognito Express. They got back to me very quickly and professionally with a nice quote/price. I gave them the job!

Bill
Did you call Daily Direct??
CanuckHoss

BultacoBill

Post by BultacoBill »

Barry,
I called JPG first, since they were so close, but I called his office land line, not his cell. Maybe he was out of town, and that's why I didn't get a reply.
Then I tried Incognito, and got a quick quote which seemed reasonable. So they got the job. I never called Daily Direct. Maybe next time, I'll give them a try.
Thanks,
Bill
BultacoBill

Post by BultacoBill »

I got the bike ok, yesterday afternoon. I was happy with Incognito, even though they subcontracted to S-Line/Priority Transport Co, out of southern Ct. After the paperwork cleared, it was 3 days shipping.
I'm checking the bike over now, since it was bought on Craigslist from a motor sports dealer. I do notice that it does not idle well on its own. I have to keep tickling the throttle. I'll give it a tuneup/checkover. The vacuum advance is capped off. Is that normal for a 2002 zz4, carburated?
Bhilldw0111

Post by Bhilldw0111 »

BultacoBill wrote:I got the bike ok, yesterday afternoon. I was happy with Incognito, even though they subcontracted to S-Line/Priority Transport Co, out of southern Ct. After the paperwork cleared, it was 3 days shipping.
I'm checking the bike over now, since it was bought on Craigslist from a motor sports dealer. I do notice that it does not idle well on its own. I have to keep tickling the throttle. I'll give it a tuneup/checkover. The vacuum advance is capped off. Is that normal for a 2002 zz4, carburated?
I have an 02 and the vacuum advance is connected. When Carb Mike did the carb rebuild he moved the vacuum to a different place on the carb. I think some distributers have a centrifugal advance so that there would not be a need for vacuum but probably not your case. You could remove the dist cap and suck on the vac hose and see if the vacuum advance moves. I would guess that it needs the line hooked up. After you have checked for electrical problems and vacuum leaks, if you still have this idle problem, if it runs good at other speeds maybe you can just raise your idle speed with the idle screw, but if it wont idle smoothly then maybe it is time to call Carb Mike, He can definitely fix it if it is a carb problem.
BultacoBill

Post by BultacoBill »

Well, it is a Rochester 'QuadraJunk', so there's definitely the possibility of problems. I'm draining the fuel, and replacing it with hi test. Because I don't know if someone put regular into it. I doubt if regular would run good in a 10 to 1 compression engine.
I'll also look at the vacuum advance. Thanks!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

It is not Quadrajunk in my opinion...great carbs. Put a 1/2 can of Seafoam in a full tank of gas....run the bike 20 minutes or so and leave it sit overnight. repeat if necessary. Seafoam is a miracle worker that will clear all the gumming out of the fuel system. If that does not work then there may be an issue. I use a 1/2 can almost every moth or 6 weeks just to keep things clear.

Could it be simple as too low an idle? Remember also most bikes don't have a choke or the choke is tied off.

I will send you a PM to this also.
CanuckHoss

BultacoBill

Post by BultacoBill »

I'll try the seafoam. Thanks. But there's definitely something else going on here. I put the fresh gas in, and connected the vacuum advance, and ran it till it got warm enough to not need choke. It's still not smooth or idling right. But what I did notice is that the speedo is jumping around...almost like a tach. And the odometer went up 1 mile while standing still! I guess I'm also looking for a bad ground or other wiring problem. The tach is working properly.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

The Speedo sounds like it is fubarred...I hope not...

Find yourself a good local hotrod carb guy and let him have look. Pull the tank if necessary...30 minute job then he can have full access to the carb, choke etc.

I have taken bikes to an actual hotrod / performance shop and had them adjust carbs...I took the tank off ahead of time...carbs are carbs and they are generally anxious to help.
CanuckHoss

BultacoBill

Post by BultacoBill »

I got your message Barry, thanks.
I got tied up with family stuff yesterday.
I did r&r on the instrument cluster. I then test ran with the tach wire disconnected from the distributor. The speedo stopped acting like a tach!
I'll do more diagnostics today.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

BultacoBill wrote:I got your message Barry, thanks.
I got tied up with family stuff yesterday.
I did r&r on the instrument cluster. I then test ran with the tach wire disconnected from the distributor. The speedo stopped acting like a tach!
I'll do more diagnostics today.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

My 2003 has the Quadrajet on it. I sent it to Mike 7 years ago and when I got it back it was like a new bike. I had nothing but a good experience working with him and he and he gave me a few tips about the choke and fuel pump.
I would not call the carb junk, in fact just the opposite. There may be others just as good and maybe some are even better but for my ZZ4 the Quadra has worked flawlessly for the last seven years.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
BultacoBill

Post by BultacoBill »

My nickname for the carb came thru my personal experience with Rochesters on 4 Camaros and two Vettes from the 70's. They were finicky and we're not as rebuildable as Holleys. Replacing with a new Rochester or Holley was the fix. Maybe these new ones are better.
I removed the tank on the Hoss and found weeping around the front of the carb. It turned out that all the 7, or so, top cover and 4 base bolts were loose by almost 1 turn. The gaskets must have taken a set.
I pulled all the spark plugs and cleaned them with Cyclo carb cleaner, and air. They were fairly new, but all wet and black from running rich.
The Hoss is now running and idling smooth!
Thanks for the input guys!