Noodles / Darryl's 502 is NO MORE

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Noodles / Darryl's 502 is NO MORE

Post by CanuckHoss »

I just got home from attending this accident in town about 4 blocks from my house.

I sold this 502 for the owner late this spring, which I bought from Darryl a few years back. One of the nicest 502's around.

Never pays to leave a bar with a bellyful...if that is what happened....as this is only 1 block from the bar he said he was in...who knows for sure...he said the throttle stuck and he bailed when he knew he could not stop before the round-about...damn good thing he bailed.

I am pretty sure it will be a write off....sad ending to an awesome bike.
Attachments
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
tjy

Re: Noodles / Darryl's 502 is NO MORE

Post by tjy »

:shakehead: :bawling: Sad end to a cool BB,,

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

tjy wrote::shakehead: :bawling: Sad end to a cool BB,,

You bet...maybe I will buy it back from Insurance and turn it into a trike...
CanuckHoss

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

It really doesn't look too bad...(In pictures) Seeing those pics really hurts..When I was looking for a big block that was the first one I wanted REAL bad..But Rodger at Lima Boss Hoss said he had it sold and had a deposit on it..Turns out I got another bike from Rodger..Good luck Barry in acquiring it and whatever may become of it...That was one of the nicest bikes I know of.. :bawling:
phpBB [video]
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Randy...I look at it and see $10,000 damage in the blink of an eye...I would be amazed if the damage is less than $20,000
CanuckHoss

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

If it's just sheet metal damage with no frame damage it should be good...It looks like the back half of frame behind seat has damage..Would the back half of a small block frame be the same?
phpBB [video]
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Mine didn't look that bad and it was $18.5K in actual damages. it was shocking to see just how quickly the costs added up. The biggest contingency (sp?) will be the value awarded for the custom paint. That was the "topic of discussion" with the insurance company. We were ultimately allowed $8K. Of course while it was "down" I added funds for various other improvements.
There will have to be a fine line walked to get the bike repaired and it is all going to hinge on the value that is assigned to the bike. If they go by any of the value guides, the bike is worth about $15K - $18K. Canadian laws may be different but when damage reaches somewhere near the 80% range, its totalled.
I hope the rider was OK. I also hope he was not found to be intoxicated because I have heard that can null their obligation to repair the vehicle.
Randy, I THINK that the back half of the frames are the same, its the extra length / width of the front half that is different. There are tons of folks smarter than I that will chime in if I am not correct :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Dennis...I think it is 70% value here and a write off...I forgot about the paint when I fist thought about estimates and the paint will be anywhere around the $5,000 mark alone.

There is a lot the pictures don't show...broken distributor, bent shocks, bent rear frame, rear rim is $1,000 alone or better...then start looking at labour..

it is going to be a HUGE bill for this bike.

I too hope that alcohol was not involved but 1/2 block from a bar?? Looks very bad..
CanuckHoss

Dip Shit 434

Post by Dip Shit 434 »

:bawling:
good no one got hurt.
kill switch,
no good riding or driving with a belly full.

Darryl
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Front 1/2 AND back half of frame both fubarred....if a full frame is not available from Factory there will be no choice....
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Not exactly the same topic but my Boss got wrecked on August 2nd 2015. The parts were ordered from Boss Hoss in the end of August because I thought the insurance would pay. They aren't paying (long story) so I wish I would have just called Marv at least for the radiator. In any case the parts didn't come until last week (Nov 12th). I left for the Philippines the next day and will be here a couple of more weeks. God only knows what I'll have in the bike before its done. The frame, wheels, forks, engine and trans are fine. The radiator, water pump, bars, risers, gas tank, front fender, shroud, headlight, windshield, blinkers, pegs, are all toast. I will find more but my bike will run again and be like new again. I bought a new Triumph Rocket 3 the same day I dropped my bike off at California Boss Hoss and I really like the damn thing. The problem is I've had my Boss for many years and I've ridden it all over the western United States. It never once broke down and it was unaffected by wind, curvy roads, night time riding, or anything else. I was never hesitant to go anywhere on a moments notice. I maintained it myself in my own garage and I never carried a spare part or tools. I just like it even with the damn Nesco. Whatever it costs I'll just bite the bullet and pay for it but I don't want to get rid of it. I guess I'll keep the Rocket 3 because its nice to have a little motorcycle too. Of course I still have my V8 Chopper which I don't ride as much but when I do its the most fun and fastest bike I ever had.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Shoulda hit the kill switch. My first Boss's throttle cable snapped and jammed at full throttle while passing a truck going around NYC on I-95 in traffic coming home from Stamford BH's Open House several years back. Good thing for me I had the presence of mind to hit the kill switch and drift over a couple of lanes to the side of the road. That was scary as fuck.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

The bars are bent to shit...tank is moved sideways...when we twist the throttle it works normally....comes back every time...brings up the question for sure as to what happened...
CanuckHoss

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Throttle works normally and comes back every time...hmm...sounds like that may not have been the actual cause then. In my case this happened shortly after I got the bike and before I had a chance to go over everything real well as I normally lube the cable at the beginning of each riding season. I called SBH from the side of the highway and they came out and replaced the throttle cable which was dry and rusted where it snapped and jammed.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Could very well be a case of "Whiskey Throttle" ( which Ironically isn't related to Alcohol ) It happens on Dirt bikes a lot but is known to take place on Street bikes as well. Usually with Inexperienced Riders ( NOT picking on the poor guy )
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Just a quick shot at parts today and we are at well over $20,000 Canadian. Most likely closer to $30,000 Insurance has not even seen it yet but my guess is when they see it they will write it off...only the front end is not damaged as in triple trees and forks and front rim..
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Somehow this thread reminds me to lube my throttle cable...

Does anyone know if the cable is plastic coated and needs non-mineral oil? any recommendations welcome.
Gordon from England
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Probably a burnout gone bad ?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:Probably a burnout gone bad ?
Or an acceleration to show off to the construction workers who eventually help upright the bike...my best guess...there was no rubber showing initially for a burnout..just the braking marks. Whatever it was...HUGE lesson learned!!
CanuckHoss

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

We all know as fast as these machines accelerate thing sneak up on you a lot faster than your average bike .
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:We all know as fast as these machines accelerate thing sneak up on you a lot faster than your average bike .

So true...and there is a respect needed for them or shit will happen....
CanuckHoss

Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

About 6 months ago, leaving Gilbert's on Fl Keys, a friend with a 99 SB had to prove to the other riders (non BH riders) what his bike was capable off, well, it was capable of air lifting him to hospital, shut down the only way to in/out of the keys for about 3 hrs, got Him new skin on lot's of areas of his body and no bike to ride anymore, his story at the beginning was also throttle got stuck, yeah right, drinks, powerful bike and too much ego, very bad combination, that is usually what gets stuck!!

if it has a solution, why to worry? and if not, why to worry?
Harris

Post by Harris »

Lets face it, none of us know for sure what really happened. Its lucky the guy didn't get killed. (or worse, like he and others die) These monster bikes need to be handled with a healthy dose of respect.
Oh yeah, HOLY SHIT SONNY!!! :yikes:
Its a real shame that sweet looking ride is totaled.
Harris
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Regarding respect, for all these horses driving out 1 wheel it's got to be total respect and concentration, I never find myself daydreaming on the BH!

Feedback is - it looks massive, sounds massive and idles like a rodeo bull on steroids - I don't feel I need to hare away at the lights. I'm not a big guy and seem to impress spectators by just firing her up and lifting it off the sidestand.

We have hardly a 1/4 mile of straight road for about 20 miles from home so early on got used to hauling it round serious bends and certainly wouldn't open her up in town - even with Brembos all round it takes clear-headed stopping. And what helps keep your focus over here are those legal European road hazards - roundabouts! Try a Hoss on one, one day. Go round clockwise (fun with that flywheel spinning), minimal clearance and an engine that wants to torque itself into the roundabout as you accelerate away - lots of handlebar wrenching and focus needed.

Still, I'll never go back to a run-of-the-mill bike - ever!
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

This bike has been written off for sure. It is coming for auction and I will look at buying to for parts.

The owner was in a couple days ago..I missed him...but Josh said as soon as he settles with Insurance he is buying another 502...we have a couple great ones on our site...not as cool as this wrecked one but still pretty damn cool bikes.
CanuckHoss